Tuning a 97 Tomos Targa LX

Hakachukai /

<HTML>How do I do it? There are no adjustments on this thing anywhere. The carb has no movable jets, and it's oil injected. It's burning way too much oil, but I can't adjust it to stop it.

Any ideas?</HTML>

RE: Tuning a 97 Tomos Targa LX

<HTML>Slacken the cable at the oilpump.</HTML>

Hakachukai /

<HTML>But there is no cable. It runs off from a coupling. and is coupled to the flywheel. It is a gravity fed oil tank, and only has 2 hoses. One from the tank to the pump, and one from the pump to the engine.</HTML>

<HTML>On the oilpump, there should be an adjustable lever. On my Honda MT50 that lever had a cable that was hooked up to the gascable. Anyway. there should be an adjuster of some kind on the oilpump. By the way, is your sparkplug white with deposits on it? Or is it blackened?</HTML>

<HTML>Tomos mopeds don't have load dependant mixing. The pump is always mixing the same ratio regardless of the throttle position.</HTML>

Hakachukai /

<HTML>So if it mixes the same ratio all the time, at what throttle position will the ratio be correct?

My engine smokes a lot idling, and the plug is wet, and black. It has what looks like oil all over it. Would I be better off if I just mixed the fuel myself, and put it all in the tank?</HTML>

<HTML>2stroke engines are supposed to smoke, they burn oil. If the plug is black the oil is not the problem. The problem is the air/feul-mix, it's way too rich. If there's too much oil in the mix, the plug will be white with deposits on it. The sparkplug should be darkbrownish, not black. There are 3 things that can cause an overrich mixture.

1. The airfilter is blocked up.

cure: If it's a wet oiled filter, wash it in gasoline, let it dry, soak it in motoroil and squeez out the oilsurplus.

If it's a paperfilter, take the vacu

Hakachukai /

<HTML>I tried removing my air filter totally, and it still smoked a lot and ran the same. MY carburator dosn't have any adjustments, or removable jets. So what do I do? My entire bike doesn't have any adjustments on it except for timing.

Where can I get a better carburator? One that has adjustments on it (a prefferably a bigger diammeter).

I also have another problem. I think it has to do with either the timing, or the ignition. The bike starts hard. It won't stay running by it's self, and dies out. This only happens until the engine get warmed up. After it's warmed up it will run pretty well, but it still smokes a lot. And every so often I will hear a loung pinging sound from the cyclinder. I assume this is because the spark off timing.

What can I do to fix these things... especially with no adjustments!?!?! </HTML>

<HTML>You can remove the jet from every carb. Open up the carb, the copperish little thing in the center inside your carb is the jet, you can unscrew it with a flathead-screwdriver. The size of the jet should be stamped in it (not always readable). If you want a different carb, get a Keihin, Sheng Wey, Kitaco, Takegawa or Honda carb, these are the best carbs. Other good carbs are brands like Bing. If you get a bigger carb, you will lose a little power at low revs and gain a lot of power at high revs. The feuluse will be higher and the engine will wear faster. If the engine is pinging you should time the ignition a little later or get a sparkplug with a lower heatvalue (usually a 7). A too early ignition will eventually destroy the piston. The pinging could also mean that your small end barings are worn down and need replacing.

There seems to be a lot of problems with your bike, maybe it would be a good idea to have it tuned by a professional. As long as you don't need replacement parts it shouldn't be too expensive.</HTML>

<HTML>i'd listen to ivo about getting it serviced there chief. when you do that if you need replacement parts check back on www.themopedjunkyard.com for parts and listed prices and compare those prices to whatever the repair shop tries to get you on. they have a lot of tomos parts. </HTML>

Hakachukai /

<HTML>Thanks for all the help guys. I got it all fixed. It runs almost flawlessly now. It starts on the first crank every time, in runs with no pings or backfires, and runs cooler too.

I only have one small problem left. It runs just a little bit rich. Not nearly as much as it used to, but just a little bit. The airfilter used to be clogged, so I removed it temporarly, and it made it a lot better. A new sparkplug cleared up the pinging and hard starting. But if I run it long enough, it does put a little bit of wet brown resedue on the plug. and it smokes a bit when I give it the throttle. What else can I do to get this engine perfectly tuned?

I do have a racing exaust on the engine. Will that make it run rich? And ofcurse, my carb has no adjustments at all. Although I did find the removable jet (it's stamped 52).</HTML>

<HTML>Don't run the engine without an airfilter, it'll run better but the cylinder and piston will be worn within a few thousand miles (dust&sand). The race exhaust will only make the engine run better, as too the rich mix, try a size 50 jet, or a 48. If the engine runs better when you use the choke, the jet is too small. If you lose power and topspeed and have a blackened plug, the jet is too big. You can buy jets at any mopedstore, they cost about $2 a piece.

You should replace the sparkplug for a new one every 1500 to 2000 miles. About the smoking, it's supposed to smoke a little, you are burning oil after all.

About tuning, There isn't much to tune on a fourstroke besides the carb. Things you could do to increase power are probably illegal, so here's some tips:

- A larger carb will increase power at high revs

- A 70cc-kit will really boost power. If you get a 70cc-kit you should really get a larger carb, that way you'll get even more extra power.

- Grind off a little from your cylinderhead (be carefull with this! you could ruin it), this'll increase compression, power and fuelefficiency.

- Use a thinner kind of cylinderheadgasket, it'll have the same effect as grinding the head, it's way easier and there's less that can go wrong.

- If you pump up the tires a little harder, the bike will run a little faster. If you pump them up too hard, they'll wear too fast in the middle.

P.S. I still think that a carb that hasn't got any kind of adjustments is a strange carb, even the carb on a Vespa ciao has a throttlestopscrew, but if it works ok you'd best let it be.</HTML>

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account