Moped collides with train

VIRGINIA: Moped rider killed in collision with VRE train

FAIRFAX -- A young man was killed last night when he lost control of his moped on a railroad track and slammed into the side of a moving Virginia commuter train, authorities said. A passenger on the motorized bike escaped injury.

The moped was headed south on one track when the southbound Virginia Railway Express train No. 311 approached from behind on a parallel track, authorities said.

The train was traveling about 70 mph, according to Stephen A. Maclsaac, the acting VRE director, when its engineer saw the moped, sounded the train's horn and applied the brakes. The accident occurred, Maclsaac said, when the moped apparently went out of control, swerving into the side of the engine.

The moped passenger "fell the other way," away from the train, he said, and ran to call for help at a house more than a mile away. The accident happened about 7:20 p.m. about a mile north of the Fairfax County Parkway and Newington Road.

The names of the moped's driver and his passenger were not immediately released. Gretchen Lacharite, a Fairfax County police spokeswoman, said only that the driver was in his late teens or early twenties and that his passenger is a Fairfax County resident.

The train's 191 passengers waited aboard for more than 2 1/2 hours as the police investigated at the scene. The train had been due at Fredericksburg at 8:04. One passenger reported feeling ill and was examined by emergency medical personnel, then was picked up and left the area.

The rest of the passengers stayed with the train, which started up when the investigation concluded at 10 p.m. The train left behind several Metrobuses that had been summoned for the passengers, as well as a spread of refreshments that had been arrayed for them.

The train, with one engine, three cars and a crew of three, was the last one scheduled on the commuter line for the day.

The VRE commuter trains are operated by Amtrak, whose spokesman, Cliff Black, said service scheduled for this morning should not be affected.

Black said two Amtrak trains were delayed by the accident last night--one headed north from Newport News, Va., to Boston, the other headed south from New York to Richmond.

Re: Moped collides with train

Moped driver killed in hit and run in Ackley

By KRISTIN BUEHNER, Of The Globe Gazette

Moped ditched, man dead

Hopkinsville moped driver killed

Moped towing rollerblader (death)

Bognor Regis, West Sussex

geez wayne have ya got any good news??

The good news is that It wasn't any of us.

Is it just me, or does it seem like they let an awful lot of less than brilliant people have access to a moped. These people can't have any idea as to how much care and love goes into one to act like this. No helmet...riding on train tracks???!!! I don't even like to hold my Bat at full throttle for fear of something vibrating loose. Just goes to show that even a licence can't weed out the dumb.

Richard

Boy trapped in Refrigerator Eats Own Foot!

Just thought I'd throw that in here....Talk amongst yourselves.......

Re: Don't fall for...

...the old "wasn't wearing a helmet" line.

Here in California that was the requisite line in all fatal two wheeler vs. anything collisions reported in the media.

It put the idea in the public's mind that somehow a helmet would have prevented the fatality. Nevermind that it was drunk doing 70 on a residential street, or someone getting hit in a left turn.

Sure enough when a weak governor with Presidential aspirations needed a cause to boost his sagging poll ratings, he had a dramatic bill signing in front of an otheopedic hospital for the states motorcycle helmet law.

Helmets can save lives but I always say: "LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE!"

Yes. Even any moped riders and bicycle riders under 18 must wear helmets.

Thank you, Big Nanny government.

Well, the choice is mine

Reeperette /

I wear helmet, boots, and armor.

That's prolly why imma still here to talk about it.

But that choice, hell, that's up to you, way I feel about it.

I smoke, drink, and eat red meat too....and damnall straight, that's also MY choice.

The gov can go F itself when it comes to making my decisions for me, of ANY kind.

-R

shouldna just burned it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account