Dirty Paint

Kyle Fluck /

The paint on my '76 Hercules has some dirt that is in it pretty good, which means that it doesnt come out with soap. Any chemicals or tricks that I could use that would lift the dirt off the paint? Any other cleaning tricks anyone knows??

Re: Dirty Paint

On late night TV, I saw a wax that was so good, the english guy lit it on fire---right on the car!

they had a car from the junkyard, and made it look brand new....!

Re: Dirty Paint

gimmyjimmy /

polishing compound is good, if it's really bad, try rubbing compound,

both can be found in auto parts stores and some hardware stores, be sure to put a coat of wax on after using them.

Re: Dirty Paint the EASY way

get a can of COMET it will do the same as rubbing compound but it is much easier and yes you will have to put a coat of wax on after you are done, it also takes a lot of rinsing to get the comet off ,like wash it with soapy water after the comet and before the wax,,,,,, DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BRAND THAN COMET... I hope that is clear enough Rog

Re: Dirty Paint the EASY way

Wow-- I would think the comet would scratch the heck out of your paint--

I shouldn't knock it if I havent tried it-- I would prolly think of using something less abrasive.....

??

Re: Dirty Paint

SteelToad /

Before you try anything abrasive, try some of the spray on wheel cleaner products. The ones that are designed to remove brake dust etc. I've done it a few times on different dirty projects, and it works great about 75% or the time. The other 25% nothing else worked either, and then it's primer and fresh paint

Re: Dirty Paint

WD40

Re: Dirty Paint the EASY way

Nope Wayne , thats why I said ONLY COMET it is actually way less abrasive than soft scrub is, my experience with brake cleaner is it will eat paint, and wd40 I never heard of on paint either but hey , I never tried it so, what can I say

Re: Dirty Paint the EASY way

I like "Bleche - White" whitewall tire cleaner, If that don't work try "Brasso" metal polish. Brasso is real fine abrasive and works really good on plastic parts such as fenders. It takes a lot of rubbing but leaves a shine and you can even use it on dull speedometer faces as long as they are plastic. Used it to restore old snowmobile gas tank and won Best of show at the national meet in MN.

Re: Dirty Paint the EASY way

Ron Brown /

Kyle,

You have all kinds of good ideas here. Try them in order of how abrasive they are.

Ideally, you want something that will disolve the dirt without disolving the paint. Try things like carb or brake cleaner in a not so obvious spot to make sure it does not soften the paint. I don't think wd40 affects paint but be carefull and test it first.

There are lots of products in auto parts stores for removing road tar from car paint, they work really good.

In metal polishes, Never Dull is my favorite for removing dirt, it is a wadding impregnated with polish and kerosene so it melts oily stuff and removes surface scratches a bit. For polishing clean surfaces, I like Solvol Autosol (now called Autosol I think), or Simichrome as second best polish, works on paint, metal plastic etc.

Mostly, what you should use depends on the surface coating and type of dirt so experiment a bit. Remember that almost everything that works on a car will work on a ped. Just be carefull of some of the "purpose made" cleaners like mag wheel and whitewall cleaners as they sometimes use chemicals whick are not good on paint. Read the warnings on the can.

"There is no substitute for elbo grease" : )

Ron

Re: Dirty Paint

Ron Brown /

Kyle,

You have all kinds of good ideas here. Try them in order of how abrasive they are.

Ideally, you want something that will disolve the dirt without disolving the paint. Try things like carb or brake cleaner in a not so obvious spot to make sure it does not soften the paint. I don't think wd40 affects paint but be carefull and test it first.

There are lots of products in auto parts stores for removing road tar from car paint, they work really good.

In metal polishes, Never Dull is my favorite for removing dirt, it is a wadding impregnated with polish and kerosene so it melts oily stuff and removes surface scratches a bit. For polishing clean surfaces, I like Solvol Autosol (now called Autosol I think), or Simichrome as second best polish, works on paint, metal plastic etc.

Mostly, what you should use depends on the surface coating and type of dirt so experiment a bit. Remember that almost everything that works on a car will work on a ped. Just be carefull of some of the "purpose made" cleaners like mag wheel and whitewall cleaners as they sometimes use chemicals whick are not good on paint. Read the warnings on the can.

"There is no substitute for elbow grease" : )

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account