Simon, html & pics

Ron Brown /

Simon,

Being a tinkerer by nature, I looked at the embedded pic problem.

Here is what I have learned:

Some photos work and some don't!

Besides that, it does appear to be the source of the pic which is a problem. If I copy the url from the properties of the undisplayed pic to the browser address and display the pic, then use the browser back arrow to display the forum post, the pic appears just fine. I am assuming it is being displayed from the Internet cache on my hard drive. This seems to indicate that the browser has no problem displaying the pic, apparently, it just has a problem requesting it from the source.

Are you aware of any way that a host could figure out, possibly from the return address on the request, that it is an embedded pic and so decide to reject the request?

This is Fred's theory and it is sounding better, except that some people (you?) seem to be seeing pics that I and others can not.

Ron

Re: Simon, html & pics

SteelToad /

When you request an image from a server like Geocities, their server looks at the "referrer" to see who is requesting the image. Geocities, because they are giving away free space, really don't want you to use them as diskspace, so they will refuse a connection if the referrer is not themselves (ie your looking at the geocities page). When you put the link in your browser, there is no referrer so the image site will usually let it through. If they see the referrer is mopedarmy.com or somebody else, they will refuse it. Once it is cached, your browser knows the image, and displays it.

It could also be a situation where it just takes forever to load the picture through the connection from the host source of the picture. I noticed one of the pictures took a while to load from the source sights and when I went back and left the page open for a while, it finally loaded.

Just a thought.

Jamie

Simon King /

I think you are exactly right, that makes the most sense technically. For the record Ron, I was only able to see the photo by pasting the URL in the browser.

simon

Simon King /

Just so everybody knows, there is a limited set of HTML that you can use on this forum. The following are allowed:

Bold

Italic

Underline

Fonts

Lists (ul,ol,li)

Images

Anchors (Links)

but as always, just don't go crazy with them, especially the font tag.

SteelToad /

<H1>Good to know</H1>

Just testing

Re: Simon, html &amp; pics

Ron Brown /

Thanks Simon, I feel better now.

Ron

Re: Simon, html &amp; pics

Just so everybody knows, there is a limited set of HTML that you can use on this forum. The following are allowed:

<ul><B>Bold</B>

<i>Italic</i>

<u>Underline</u>

Fonts

Lists (ul,ol,li)

Images

Anchors (Links)</ul>

but as always, just don't go crazy with them, especially the <font color="#0000FF">font</font> tag.

now if there was only a "preview post" option ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account