Vespa/Piaggio Boxer 2 (ciao?)

So a buddy and I just purchased a Vespa/Piaggio Boxer 2(a.k.a ciao?) Anyway, it doesn't run, but we got a deal on it so that doesn't matter, can anyone tell me some basic things about this moped. I noticed hteres a fuel valve with a R and a C on it. R-reserve, C-what? There is also a metal lever that you can push down near the engine, but when you pull on the throttle it lets off, what is that? Also, on the right side of hte handlebars, there is a cable running to the cylinder, it triggers this lever near the spark plug ,what exactly is that? a choke?

Now, your probably thinking to yourself this guy should just get a service manual, well I did, and nothin about any of these things is listed in there, so if you know the answers, PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you in advance,

Andy

Re: Vespa/Piaggio Boxer 2 (ciao?)

Bruce Wilkinson /

What manual do you have ? First, very important, Mix a can of gas and 2 stroke oil, 50 parts gas 1 part 2 stroke oil.The lever on the carb is a choke. Push it down when starting and it comes off as you give it throttle.The lever on the left is a decompression valve. It makes it easy to peddle when starting. Hold it in and and peddle for a bit then release the lever and it should start. It will also stop the engine if you don't have a stop switch.Look at mopedriders.org there is a manual in the repair section. Post a picture of your moped so we know exactly what model you have.There's a button/lever on the rear wheel to disengage the motor. bruce

That's where i got my service manual from, mopedriders.org. I can't post now as my digital cam was borrowed until tommorow, but I will be sure to show everyone. I removed the screws for that lever because I took the cylinder head off, how do I re install it without messing things up. Or does it really matter if its there or not. Its a 1977 on the metal Piaggio stamp, there is Boxer 2 stickers all over it, so I'm guessing thats what it is, but I will put in a pic tommorow. Anyway, what do I do regarding that lever that switches the gas from reserve to regular, what position should it be in.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Andy

Bruce Wilkinson /

Not sure what C is on the tap. Maybe Closed ? It should have 3 positions. Pointed away from the engine should be off. On is at the up position . Reserve facing down.

The head is tightened down evenly by alternating tightening the 3 nuts a little bit. The decompression cable with valve must be hooked up so the valve is closing and blocking the compressed air/gas in the cylinder from escaping. When you pull the lever it should open the valve and let the compression out. It will never run with the valve open. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/42/5131/

Is this like your bike ? bruce

Nope, not quite. Mine has a nice long two passenger seat with the gas tank hole under it. It also have passenger foot pegs. I will put in a pic today, in my profile, and in this thread. Any other info is appreciated, as I'm ripping her apart in about an hour and seeing if I can get the beast running. Of course if I can't, I'll come back right here and start trouble shooting. The pin that goes into the cyilnder head that lets air out, is it permenantly in the cyl head or does it pop out, i'm afraid I may have lost it in the process (BAD!!!)

Anyway...thanks for the help so far,

Andy

Re: Vespa/Piaggio Boxer 2 (ciao?) Carb Problems

Ok, I got it running, rode it down the street, and it died. The problem is the carbeurator, unfortunately, I don't know anything about carbs. Any basics i should know regarding the Dellorto thats in there, any troubleshooting steps I should start with. The carb is getting gas/oil mix, that I know. Its also getting air, so im guessing its running either lean or rich, im leaning more towards rich. At least I know its capable of starting, and running a good strong 28 mph =)

Any help is appreciated

Bruce Wilkinson /

You really should take the carb off and apart and totally clean it.There's not a lot inside one of those. Just watch how you take it apart. Clean it with carb cleaner and poke the tiny holes clear with a tiny wire. Blast it out at the gas station with the air hose. Do not over tighten the banjo bolt on the fuel line, they strip easily. bruce post a picture please

Whats the banjo bolt, where exactly is that? Also the thing that changes my fuel from reserve to closed or whatever, that nob, it leaks gas, what do you recommend I do?

PICTURE IS ON THE WAY!!!

Andy

Bruce Wilkinson /

The fuel line comes off the gas tap and goes to the carb.The banjo is the dome shaped attachment on the end of the fuel line. A small bolt holds it onto the carb.If you tighten this bolt to tight it might strip the threads on the carb.

The tap may just not be on tight enough or it may need a new O ring . bruce

Alright, heres whats accomplished so far, still no pic, and i'm MAD! I got it running again today, after draining the fuel, cleaning the carb with carb cleaner (did not remove/disassemble it), and putting it all back on. It started, rode up and down the street a few times, then lost power. It would start again with carb cleaner sprayed in the air filter, but would lose power after a few seconds. I KNOW it is a carbeurator problem, but I don't really know what to do. I hate to think i have to remove the entire sprocket/chain assembly to un bolt the carb, but I guess that's what i'm gonna have to do. Any ideas on what the problem could be considering it starts, runs, and then loses power.

Thanks a lot for your help bruce,

Andy

Bruce Wilkinson /

This is the problem. Old mopeds get rust in the gas tank. The rust can clog the fuel tap inside the gas tank. The tap should be removed, the tank drained and then flushed a few times with gas. Catch the gas in a container with a coffee filter on top to catch the rust. Repour the same gas in the tank and catch the same way.

The carb is also most likely rusty as well. You cannot clean the carb without taking it off and apart.

I still don't know what model moped you have. Look in the photo section for one like yours. bruce

Ok I found a picture of it online, this isn't my actual moped, but same model and all. I can't figure out how to get the dang carb off, its stuck behind the chain assembly and that chain assembly cover is welded in. Any tips are appreciated.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Sorry Andy the attachment is not visible to me. It's lines of encripted garble.bruce

Is that similar to it?

All the pictures of a Boxer 2 in the photos section have the solo seat on them, the ones labeled just as Boxer have the long seat like that.

That's it, Identical, same color and everything. Now to help me get to that carbeurator which is right behind the sprocket on the chain assembly.

Btw, is this moped rare/worth any money? I'm thinking of the future when i'll be looking to sell and how much will it be worth. Its a 77' good condition runs (needs carb work) and has around 5 and a half thousand miles.

Thanks

Bruce Wilkinson /

It's not very common . I've never seen one and don't know how the carb/motor is in the frame. I'm guessing 4 or 5 hundred dollars if you sell it. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

When I look at it again it looks like a sub frame the same as my Si. The carb if not easy to get at but you can take it off without removing anything else. beuce

Woah, 400-500. i bought it for 70 bucks non running, and got it to run with a 2 dollar spark plug, some liquid gasket, and carb cleaner. Anyway, if only I could get the carb out, I could clean it and tune it and get it running perfect, at this point i'm ready to sell it and make a quick buck.

Andy

p.s. i'm attaching an actual picture of the moped that I took this morning

1121882458_dsc00050.jpg

Bruce Wilkinson /

Liquid gasket ? Where did you put that. That might be part of your problem. bruce

It goes on the head, there was no head gasket when I got it and it had a horrible leak that made it lose most of its compression. I put liquid gasket on there, its liquid when it comes out of the tube but dries to become a "high heat head gasket". That's not my problem, it's definately a carb issue. It drives with the choke longer than it does without the choke, but it still loses power after about 400 feet.

It's going on ebay tonight, I will post the ad in case anyone on here is interested.

Andy

Bruce Wilkinson /

It doesn't have a head gasket. I hope the goo didn't melt inside your engine. bruce

It's not supposed to have a head gasket? never heard of such a thing, and that stuff didn't melt in there, it ran like this before i even put the stuff on, it was just slower. I KNOW the gasket is not my problem, but I will remove it if these things aren't meant to have head gaskets.

Vimy Ridgeway /

The Vespas are so precision-machined that the fit is perfect; they don't need a head gasket.

Dear Andy, the C is for closed and the metal lever is for choke or cold engine start. just push it down and pedal the moped and add little bit of throttle and it will start just fine on those cold mornings. I myself got one and it runs good it 30 years old. If you got any more questions just ask....

Bruce Wilkinson /

Mitja, it's been 3 years since this thread was posted. I think he figured it out by now.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account