Got a new Targa LX!

After not really feeling all that convinced with the Avanti SuperSport, I opted to take the other top-tank available in the US, a 2002 Tomos Targa LX. It's a nice bike, blue in color, and moves well for a stock machine. Tested a Targa with the BiTurbo exhaust, hi-performance spark plug and jetted carb, and wow, that one moves! For $100 (including labor), I think the upgrade is certainly worth it, and after a few months, it looks like I'll be making a visit back to my moped shop for the hop up.

I did already make one modification straight from the dealer: Removing the GARISH decals with the checkered flag, etc. But if you do this BE CAREFUL when it comes to removing them from plastic panels, as the paint left the panel while we were removing one of the stickers (so we placed it back on). The other side plastic panel was easily removed though.

I'll keep everyone posted on the bike, in case there are some seeking to get a new Tomos.

_wal

Re: Got a new Targa LX!

Sounds great,Wal! Break it in right and enjoy it!

B Perkins /

Those are nice, congrats!

Yep, I got one recently. Goes about 34 mph if you lean down to reduce wind drag. Brakes were seizing so I had to take 'em apart and lube the shaft where it passes into the hub. Had some turn signal problems, and the fuel line wasn't hooked to the carb (drip drip drip....) The quality control from the factory leaves a whole bunch to be desired. Loose fasteners, headlight pointing at the sky, rattles, etc. I suggest you really take some time going over the whole bike. And yeah, I removed the tacky graphics the minute I got it home, and it looks good in basic black.

Also....I'm getting a lot of noise from the front forks on bumps. Some of the other bikes in the showroom have this problem, others don't. Once I get my service manual, I'll figure that one out.

Reeperette /

Now...go out an buy a set of metric ratchets/crescent wrenches...from 7mm to 19mm, a set of metric hex-keys from 2mm to 6mm, a plug wrench, two tire spoons, some WD-40 and a can of fix-a-flat - you'll thank me later.

Also reccommended is ditching the stock tires and replacing with Cheng Shin tires, backed up by BELL Self-sealing tubes, oversized by 1-2".

No need to do this all at once, but it's definately the reccommended "kit" for a Targa owner, just so ya know.

-R

Ron Brown /

Ree,

>metric ratchets/crescent wrenches

I've been trying to find a metric crescent wrench for years. Do you have a source?

Ron

Tools n Stuff

Reeperette /

Erg ?

Far as I know the term "Crescent Wrench" applies to

open-end/box-end

open-end/open-end

offset open-end/box-end

and similar wrenches.

You hafta remember, also, I've not learned whit one from books, so I have truly no clue what most parts and tools are supposed to be called.

But on the other hand...if there's a specific type of wrench they call this, and it's possible to GET it in metric, at all - yes, I can get it...my "source" is the same one supplying US Automakers shop-inventory, so I don't see a problem.

I just got in the really odd metric-sizes hex key (allen wrench ?WTFs an allen wrench??) set that I ordered, which should hopefully help out on reassembling this bastardised Targa of mine.

One item I am sure you'd laugh at, laying in the bottom of one of my toolboxes is a very old pair of wrenches I think came with/for the old Ford Fairmont, one has "Cleveland" stamped into one side and the other one says "Windsor"...I have no clue what it means, tho...the plant they built em at ?

-R

Ree,

Where does one get Bell tubes? Oversized by 1-2 inches? Do you mean that I should put a 17"-18" tube on a 16" wheel? I like the sound of this, but am interested in your thoughts on the advantage of oversizing.

Chris

Ree,

Where does one get Bell tubes? Oversized by 1-2 inches? Do you mean that I should put a 17"-18" tube on a 16" wheel? I like the sound of this, but am interested in your thoughts on the advantage of oversizing.

Chris

Re: Tools n Stuff

XBrandon EdgeX /

"One item I am sure you'd laugh at, laying in the bottom of one of my toolboxes is a very old pair of wrenches I think came with/for the old Ford Fairmont, one has "Cleveland" stamped into one side and the other one says "Windsor"...I have no clue what it means, tho...the plant they built em at ?"

I know very little about Ford vehicles, but I DO know that Cleveland and Windsor are two types of Ford engine blocks.

Re: Tools n Stuff

Ron Brown /

Ree,

Sorry, I hope someone else got a chuckle. : )

"Crescent" is the manufacturer's name for the original angled head adjustable wrench that you can now buy anywhere, made by anyone, because the patent has expired. Similar to self locking pliers being called "Vise Grips". I don't know if the original manufacturers still own the trade mark on these names.

Now, the point of my previous post will be apparent, kind of like a "sharp piece of string".

Ford did have engine plants in Windsor and Cleveland.

For those who are lucky enough to get to motorcycle swap meets, you can often find a selection of original motorcycle tool kits for $5.00 each. If you pick through these, you can usually find one with the typical wrench and allen wrench sizes for a ped, along with pliers and a phillips/straight screwdriver. Makes a good base for a "carry on the ped" tool kit.

Ron

Reeperette /

You get em at Walmart in the bicycle section, and you oversize them for more rubber and to make them easier to put in....if you put a 16" on a 16" moped rim, you have to stretch it considerably, and I felt that would be a little thin, so I went oversize (17"-18") and they worked quite well, still do...since I have em in there now.

-R

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account