Moped Price Guide?

Has someone ever considered making a price guide for mopeds? Not just a general price guide, but rather a comprehensive guide giving values for each and every model?

Re: Moped Price Guide?

i think that would be impossible. mainly because it's all about what someone's willing to pay, location, supply & demand, and so many other variables.

Reeperette /

Mig's prettymuch right, but depending on what year and model it is, I can get most blue book values for them....and have enough old bluebooks in the basement to make a right good composite-guesstimate for those not listed.

Just howl if ya need it.

-R

I would do a search on either recycler.com or ebay.com, and get an idea of what similar makes/models are going for.

_wal

John,just research and be willing to accept that some `peds are junk and won't be much good to you.Your best brands are(forgive me guys if I fail here to mention yours)Puch,Vespa,Tomos,Garelli,Honda,Motobecane,Motomarina,Peugeot,Batavus,Cara-bela,& Motobecane Sebring.These are ALWAYS worth 400.00 in good running condition and are easily repaired.You can get parts for most Italian made bikes.

I was more thinking of the idea of getting some kinda "collectors value" to mopeds. Certain models must be more collectable/desirable/rare than other mopeds and some sort of specific guide wouldn't hurt for someone who wants to collect them and have some idea which ones to look out for. I understand it is more up to the individual for the value of the moped however I couldn't see in general a Vespa Grande or an Indian Moped being comparable in value to a moped like a 1976 Canadian Tire version Motobecane Cady in equal condition.

Unless your Cady is a rare bird,the Vespa is a superior bike altogether and MUCH MORE comfortable.Remember that rarity is a 2 -edged sword.It may be rare,but that doesn't mean good and usable.The mopedarmy is mainly interested in USING mopeds to their fullest potential,from what I've gathered.Not so much in acquiring rare unusable breeds just for display purposes.BUT to each his own!

That would get into the same problem that people have with evaluating cars, boats, motorcycles, sterling engines, antique farm equipment and all sorts of things.

Once you get into the rare aspect of an item, the price can change and fluctuate well above and bellow the set estimate by professional experts. Look at some of the auctions like sutherby's. Some of the items will be valued at an estimate of 10,000 and go for 50,000 and vice versa. The more desirable an item the more its worth as long as there is someone willing to pay the right price. Even with the standard mopeds, look at the prices that they go for on Ebay. Two moped that are identicle will go for completely differant prices depending on when the auction ends and where the moped is at. People are funny and rarely know what something is worth. If you wanted a moped that you knew was worth $250.00 and had to compete with someone that wanted it because it looked like the one that he had when he was a kid then you wouldn't have a chance at buying it at a reasonable price. It would be worth much more to the other fellow that may not really care what the actual value is. He knows what it is worth to him.

This is one of the reasons that people buy stuff and spend 5 times what its worth fixing it up.

Find something you like, decide what it's worth to you and plan on keeping it long enough that if you get screwed in the end, it wont matter because you wont have to try to get your money out quickly.

Another factor that can have bearing on the price of something like a moped is around us right know. I was paying $1.57 per gallon of gas when I bought my first moped. I thought at the time that gas was going up. Moped/less money on gas/cheap transpertation.

Now, I pay right at $1.00 for gas. There might be as much demand for them if people feel like the price of gas is going down. Also, folks aren't as sure about the economy so they may not want to spend as much on something that might be for joy riding.

Jamie

(rattling on)

Don-Ohio:

On the rarity vs. desirability, I've always thought the '57 Plymouth was a better looking car than the '57 Chevy, but look at which one is more popular.

And there were less Plymouths than Chevrolets made that year.

Jim

Well,Jim,I can't agree that ANY Plymouth EVER looked better than a `57 Chevy,but that's a matter of taste.I think the ugliest car ever made by a U.S. company was the 1962 Plymouth Belvedere,but they might be worth something more now because of their rarity now.They were cheap though,so maybe some people put aside looks for usefulness. My Dad almost bought a beige one but my older brother and me talked him out of it.

Identifying an ancient moped

Arlo Lusby II /

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me identify my moped. It looks for all the world like a pre-world war II coveyance, just in terms of the overall upright appearance. It has a four link springer front fork (spring is mounted vertically), 4" drum brakes f/r, it uses 26" schwinn type wheels w/heavy duty spokes, a small freewheel sprocket on the right side of the rear wheel, and a large sprocket laced with spokes on the left. There is a rear luggage rack with a 3" round tool(?) box on the back, the front fender has two inline tabs on the top for a headlight or license plate, and the rear fender has a clip for a kickstand riveted to the tip of the fender. The engine was missing so I fitted a modern moped engine to it so I could ride it. In the place where a pedal crank may have been mounted there is a 12" pipe which is used as foot pegs. The frame members are joined by what are certainly molded or cast connectors. It is definitely a factory job, not a backyard project. I do have digital camera pictures on my hard drive at home that I can send anyone who may be interested in solving my 25 year riddle: who made this thing, and when. The question "What is it worth?" is moot until I can find out what the heck it is.

As to the question raised in this forum, I do tend to think that value is a very difficult thing to establish because of condition, location, and who is looking at the time you put it on the market. A price guide would be just that, a guide, not a retail price. In the end, the value is what someone will pay and what you will accept for the item.

My thanks for any help the forum members might be able to lend on identifying my moped. Much appreciation. Sincerely, Arlo Lusby II, 209-267-0596 or 626-966-5570 or alusby@mtsac.edu

Re: Identifying an ancient moped

Arlo, attach a picture (when you get home) to your post. I'm sure one of the old-timers here has seen one before. The description is just impossible to figure out. "A picture is worth 1000 words."

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account