Re: ATTENTION STREETMATE OWNERS!READ THIS!!!

Shawn Godfrey /

i think i might have the solution for it. i took my streetmate in for inspection last wendesday and found out the pipe was clogged like yours. but i also found out something interesting. Tomos screwed up by putting to small of an air intake on the bike for their first 600 streetmates made. maybe thoses two have some interconnection so check it out

thanks, i will talk to ike about this "upgrade" stuff. ike was tellin me about the "new" streetmates had a different piston, cylinder, and head. and maby a carb, can remember.i need to call him about it. plus, i'm gettin a bullet pipe for my Streetmate!!BTW: i'm gonna cut and weld it to fit.

Matthew Westberg /

Will the bullet pipe really work any better than your gutted pipe with cat torn out?

i didnt fully gut it remember? only drilled a small hole through it. i am in the process of gutting it now.i'll let ya know ASAP!

Matthew Westberg /

pics please when you do :)

ok, i completely gutted the pipe and welded it back together. it dont sound to bad, but it didnt make a rats ass in difference. still 28mph. so i put my stock pipe back on and started to locate my trouble.

#1: i removed the oil pump and ran 50:1 oil in the beast.

#2 modified the air box for more air...ofcorse i did a plug chop before switching to pre-mix and all this. the plug was dark and wet.

#3 i removed and cleaned the carb very well

#4changed the oil for it's schedualed 1100mi change.

after all this with a stock pipe with no mods, i pulled 33mph respectably.I then put my modiefied pipe on say bye bye mrs. americal pie. cause this bitvh flew to 40mph no questions asked. i'm gonna get on a main road today to see what it can REALLY do. i had to stop at 40mph because of no more road lol! i'll keep ya'll posted. i guess i should keep my air box mods a secret. i also did another plug chop and the plug was a PERFECT medium tan color and very dry.!! I'll keep ya'll posted!!let me know what you think.pic attached on the "cat"

1117979437_picture_003.jpg

pic2

1117979462_picture_004.jpg

dont mind the hole in there...i did that lol!thats the other end on the "cat"

1117979524_picture_005.jpg

i'm suprised noone even looked at these mods. hmmmmmm.......oh well

Timmy Southpark /

i did, but i didnt comment. A thousand apologies!!

lol..not a big deal. i thought don-o would comment lol.

Charlie Christensen /

Hello

I know this is an older post but I started reading and then thinking of Vespa scooter problems vs Streetmate.

Okay, Suggestions:

1st: Ditch the Auto Lube!!! Run 2% (50:1) pre-mix gas - the vespa system is bulletproof with gear driven and the pump is almost conected to the carb. SO DITCH THE AUTO-LUBE!

2nd Ditch the Cat-Exhuast !!! Get a real performace pipe, just use a A-35 pipe and fabricate mounting bracket. Vespa P150 has a cat right now and run fine .... slower but fine. Tomos just has a cheap/bad design.

3rd Ditch the carb!!! Get a 14-16mm sha dellorto carb (the old carb from a35 but 14-15mm) and jets to tune it.

People want something 100% out-of-the-box work right. Okay you should for good money, but the three thing mentioned about will make it a hell of better moped. Only one thing to mention is some tranny problems in the recall .... take to dealer if problematic.

Charlie C

I really don't think anyone should trust any oil injection system unless it's equipped with a pressure switch which activates an idiot light if pressure falls. I haven't seen one of these,so I don't trust any oil-injection system.

I disagree with the 50:1,though, Charles. I'd always say go 40:1 or even 32:1 especially if it's kitted.

I kept my Streetmate injection hooked up after kitting it, but I add oil to the gas to be sure I'm never out if it QUITS injecting unbeknownst to me. don-ohio (:^)

old post..btu today i was tryign to drive to my friends house on my streetmate and all the sudden the throttle wasnt doing anything..i would turn it..nothing happened...the moped continued to slow down...tried again ..Nothing...and then it just cut off on my...and im postign this in this thread beascause..i think it migth have to do with the oil and sludge clogging up in the pipe..oh and it wont even start now!!!...what in the world happened...it was runnign fine yesterday..did nothing diffrent to it..im confussed

Jeff, i'll talk to you on aim to locate your problem. Tell me, whats the manufacturer date on the frame by the forks? Also, on the right side of the moped, look in there for the fuel line...is there a fuel filter in there inthe fuel line?

ok my AIM sn is in the profile..ill beon for a couple more hours...ill go check that stuff out right now

ATTENTION STREETMATE OWNERS!READ THIS!!!

I just tuned a streetmate with the new Airsal 70cc Eurokit and the bigger jet that came with it. I drilled a hole in the exhaust just before the cat and junked the airbox in favor of a K&N style filter.

Goes like poop off a shovel. Fantastic acceleration and 50+-mph top speed. A mod well worth making. Am going to put a 21mm manual choke Dell Orto on it soon too. And I am going to change to a 28tooth front sprocket. The 21mm Dell Orto will fit into the rubber manifold if use a little elbow grease. Makes a huge difference along with a good expansion chamber coupled with the Airsal.

lol, really old thread.

be glad tomos designed that pipe the way it is or you wouldn't have the ped at all. It is the only way they could have gotten it to meet emission standards for it to be sold in the US. Just put an aftermarket pipe on it already.

oh shit... 05? talk about back from the dead.

chazwhatever, i hope you're not planning to use the original intake with that 21..

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account