ATTENTION STREETMATE OWNERS!READ THIS!!!

well, tomos really screwed up this time on there streetmate. anyone who has experienced the streetmate blues with slow top speed...here's why. the exhaust pipe! i had to have ike get me a new pipe at 684miles because it clogged up to the point that my top speed was 15mph! after my new pipe, the top speed was 35-40mph!! take a look at the inside of my old SM pipe. BTW: ike had drained a quart of oil outa it before i cut it apart. i have many pice to post. see attached.

1117303375_picture_003.jpg

Re: ATTENTION STREETMATE OWNERS!READ THIS!!!

the damn "cateletic converter" is what you see stickin out. the dont have a "baffle". they use FREAKIN STEEL WOOL to silence the pipe by plugging the holes with it!!

1117303476_picture_005.jpg

the gases are supposed to go through the end of that piece stickin out. the holes are almost like a hepa filter you use in your vaccume!!

1117303578_picture_002.jpg

here is SOME of the oil i scooped out of the pipe

1117303667_picture_007.jpg

i cut the converter in half to show what kinda holes these gases the motor makes it supposed to go through. looks like a hepa filter made outa metal

1117303766_picture_009.jpg

Streetcruiser14,

684 miles on your new moped and you had nearly a quart of oil in the muffler? Have you performed a plug chop? Sounds like your running extra rich and/or your oil pump went wacky.

Rob

here is what an hour on the BBQ did for this end of the pipe. as for the other end.... it's a lost cause. nothin will clean it out. i guess i will just cut the whole thing out.

1117303864_picture_006.jpg

perfect plug. and i was runnin a simi synthetic. now my new pipe if fuckin up, and i'm even runnin some redline fully synthetic 2-stroke. i have 1100mi, and here we go again.

1117303971_picture_010.jpg

i ment perfect tan plug chop. i have no clue WTF is doing it except there damn converter shit. as you may be able to detect, i'm pissed. but other wise these are the best peds i've ever seen!

Timmy Southpark /

thats sad... a pipe shouldnt clog like that... you would swear someone put 20k on that pipe running 20:1 oil mixture. I think its time for an aftermarket exhaust.

i'm really mad about this. maby it's technigas time? i could cut,bend and weld it to fit??

I guess the idea was to trap the oil in the pipe to prevent pollution?

But at the cost of a new pipe every few months is crazy.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Edward Edwards /

Has anyone else had this problem? Does this only effect the A55 ENGINE?

Hey guys...

Is it just me? I saw this coming a mile away-- Didn't you see all my posts about "is there a perf pipe for the arrow?"

a two stroke running a restrictive exhaust blows. Having a catalytic converter is stupid.

Stupid for the moped.. stupid laws.

But before I even rode the bike I knew

"2-stroke" + "catalytic coverter" = fucked up engine. I mean, I can't tune a carb to save my life.. and I'm pretty clear on the fact that my new tomos arrow is going to act funny until you bypass the catalytic converter.

A good clue is when you mix heavy and the color of your exaust never changes. I've only got 50 miles on my a55 but I don't see blue smoke.

I'm glad you're posting, it's awesome you're letting me know. I guess I'm really surprised that nobody on the Revival has had this happen. I bet there's a ton of a55 owners missing out on a much better ride... the exhaust probably gets so hot the sludge gets gooey and the pressure can force smoke through... yuck,

Why isn't this happening to the revival owners (or is it) was it actually liquid oil? all nasty? weird. Am I right that a cat-con on a 2-stroke is just stupid to begin with? That's the only part of the a55 I was concerned with.

Re: non-cat perf pipe for a55's

toronto mopeds has a pipe that bypasses the converter & comes with a jet and sprocket for a55 models.

it's expensive but it's the only non-kit mod I found for the a55.

I wonder if Chris or Ike can look at the kit and get ahold of some or make a better one?

Wayne

Yes,a catalytic converter on a 2-stroke is stupid,and it won't work.The things plug up REAL easy.I remember when they first put them on cars(1975,a sad year indeed for car people)you could plug one up just by using one tankful of leaded gas.I have been through three of them in six years on my Suzuki Samurai,because it burns a little oil.But they only cost $120,and a rebuilt engine is $2500,and the engine have runs fine.Yamaha tried this back in the early eighties on the RZ350,and it didn't work.More recently,Bimota tried it on their new V-DUE 2-stroke v-twin,and not only did it not work,they spent so much money trying to make it work,the company went bankrupt.If you have a 2-stroke with a catalytic converter,change the pipe ASAP,before it plugs up cpmpletely and blows the engine.

Thanks Jerry,

I'm a hack of a mechanic and I thought it sounded weak... I'm surprised the Revivals aren't doing this.. or maybe it's an "upgraded" pipe on the 2005 bikes.

I guess we just need to get feedback from any 2005 a55 owners... or dealer comments.... maybe the pipe looks and bolts the same but has a catalyst for 2005 that wasn't implemented in 04?

Like I said, I knew it would need to have a new exhaust because of the catalytic converter but I'm glad Cruiser and Ike were the ones to find out and to see just how bad it is

I know I'll be looking at a new pipe before 500 miles. I hope they drop in price... wicked expensive at toronto mopeds currently...

Buy a pipe of choice, and cut,weld, and bend it to fit. even send it to ike and pay him to do it. he can use my bike as a template.

so you were able to make sure it doesn't happen again, that's good.

Ike must be planning on something since it will have to be replaced on so many bikes and who can afford a stock part clogging every 500 miles?

yuck, emission laws on a 50cc, silly.

he spent 2 hours on the phone hollering at tomos tellin them why the hell would someone pay $100+ every 700mi for a pipe?!?!? so they sent him one free of charge. with the chrome and all. now maby ike will be tellin them to figgure sumthin out before i blow a head gasket myself lol! now i need to go to the hospital, my honda cl90 developed a vacume leak and revved up and caused me to lay it down at 25mph. broken knee cap, and 3rd degree burns

Courtis Fuller /

Hey hows the weather up in Dayton? It's good here in Middletown.

off and on rain showers but nice and suny now! hey, maby we should meet up and ride sometime! we arent that far apart.

Chuck Poynter /

Hey Street

I wonder what it would be like if we put a NOS A35 cyl. (reed valve) on it??? Besides everything else you could use any A35 pipe you wanted then. I have one off a 2002 Revival that has very few miles on it. Maybe one day we could try it..

Cretin

sure..mabe we can try sometime.we'll see. my wreck on the honda left me with a fractured wrist, 3rd degree burn about a foot long. not good. feel bad.

Well, regarding the stock POS pipe:as soon as we had the 1st a55 out of the box and ran it, and found out it only went 27, we did what any motorhead would have done. We cut open the pipe and looked inside, and found that steel wool crap in there. My first thought was that somebody left their chrome cleaning supply inside.We ditched that, and cut the "windowpane" to make a bigger hole, then welded it back up and painted it. All that effort produced a 1 mph gain.

We discovered the sprocket change and that brought it up to 34-36. That Streetmate went to a guy close to the shop. He was back every Saturday for 8 or 9 weeks, to try to fix the idle problem.

A couple weeks ago his 6 months warranty was up.Except when they shipped the 1st few bikes they didn't put any manuals in the boxes, so he didn't get his warranty card until about Jan or Feb.!

So when he came in the last time , it was with less than 2000 miles on it and where we welded the pipe back together: all the paint was burnt off and the weld rusty

Tomos came out with the speed kit which is the pipe and jet.

They also have an upgrade kit which is a higher ratio head, a different air intake and a jet, which I think is the same as the speed kit jet.That one's a freebie from tomos, since it's part of a recall type situation.

Matthew Westberg /

Does anybody know what's inside of the 'performance' pipe from Tomos? They're twice as heavy, but obviously no one's cut one open yet. I'm seriously interested in case they become cheaper, because I sure don't wanna deal with this shit robbing me blind :/

hey bryon, do ya know if that new cylinder/head and whatever else is making a positive difference in the streetmate. if so, i may have ike see if he can get me one.

Vimy Ridgeway /

Wayne, Torontomopeds is a rip artist as well as a pretty unpleasant guy. People tend to deal with him only once. Our RCMP club likes Freddie at simplymopeds.com. He's in the club, is a really nice guy, gives us discount prices and can probably hook you up much more cheaply.

Vimy Ridgeway /

Hey, Matt, I sympathize. Tore my Achilles tendon about three weeks ago, had surgery four days later, last Wednesday I fell on my good leg and badly sprained the ankle. In a wheelchair, crawling around my three-storey house in rollerblade kneepads, need help getting into the bath, bed, etc. Hope you've got help; my wife's been great!!

ouch! i guess we can be in a similar boat for a while lol! hope you get better too!!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account