NU50 Battery Ventilation

Philip Illman /

At the moment all I have is a short length of tube connecting the battery breather with the outlet moulded into the battery box. The parts diagrams for the NU50 at Partsfish.com show a tube connected to the bottom of the battery box but doesn't show where it goes to.

Do I really need it? And if so, where should it connect to?

Re: NU50 Battery Ventilation

The tube isn't supposed to connect to anything, but yes, you do really need it. On my honda passport the tube is about 5 inches, and just hangs out of sight. I've been told that the battery can explode without the breather (but I dont know if this is true or not.) hope this helps.

ok so it's tube and battery not explode and no one see's tube, then it's no tube no one see's tube and battery explode? I see now...Vespalad wrote:

>

> The tube isn't supposed to connect to anything, but yes, you

> do really need it. On my honda passport the tube is about 5

> inches, and just hangs out of sight. I've been told that the

> battery can explode without the breather (but I dont know if

> this is true or not.) hope this helps.

What??!!

Philip Illman /

Now I'm confused!

Re: What??!!

Sorry, that description sucked the big one. There is a small post with a hole in it near the top of the battery. The breather tube slides on that post, then you run the tube to someplace where it hangs out of sight. On my passport, I run the tube to the bottom corner of the battery, then tuck the open end of the tube around the corner, so it is hanging out of sight.

Ron Brown /

Phillip,

I have never looked at an NU50, but the tube on a cycle battery vents gas and some acid spray if the battery is chrged/discharged heavily or tips over. The tube from the bottom of your battery tray should be routed down as low as possible and so as not to drip on anything you care about. It will remove paint and chrome. Most bikes have some kind of guide down near the ground between the swingarm and the frame to route the tube through.

Ron

The battery wont explode unless the hole that the tube goes into on the battery is clogged or plugged. It would actually be pretty hard to get one to explode even so. The acid would just gurgle out around the little screw in caps and get onto your paint and other stuff and eat it away.

Like Ron said, there should be some area for the tube to go. The length isn't so important, its just making sure that the end of the hose isn't resting against something so that if the battery were over charged or if it went bad and started to vent way way more than normal, the acid would not be all over your moped. If the battery is contained in an enclosed area with electrical connections then the vent hose will also keep that gasses from collecting in the enclosed area and possibly exploding. That would be a greater risk than the battery itself exploding.

When a battery does blow up it is always the gasses inside of the battery that are burnt. The gasses are what is combustable (thats why there are always no smoking signs near battery racks and why chargers carry warnings about being in a well ventilated areas and also warn against not smoking around the battery)

Rember to keep the water level where it is supposed to be. That will reduce the amount of gassing in the battery and also keep the cells in better shape so that you wont have to worry about a short in the battery. If you ever notice a swelling on a battery, replace it!!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account