Re: Mopeds today

Ahra Majniu /

Ron,

I'm sorry but I dont know what an assumer is. Please tell me.

:)

actually ... marci is a girl. and she's american. but she lived in budapest for many years (most of her childhood). she speaks hungarian. but she's a girl. a cute one at that.

Ron Brown /

Ahra,

The dictionary definition of assume is:

To take for granted or without proof.

Something like assuming there is no freedom of speech in Hungary, or that you can't possibly miss any place else when in the US, or that a name has a female gender just because it seems that way in english. : )

Ron

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

If your assumption turns out to be true, does that make you correct, or lucky? : )

Ron

Ron Brown /

Ahra,

New explaination.

I assumed Marci was a female name because it is in english.

You assumed Marci was a male name because it is in hungarian.

We both assumed Marci was Hungarian.

We are both idiots!

But at least our assumptions were fairly harmless : )

I hope this clears it up for you.

Ron

Hi,Marci!Sorry I came across to everyone as a domineering patriot.I feel I owe you an apology.I certainly spoke too bluntly about Hungary.I actually wanted to know about Hungary and what you missed about it and Miguel brought up a few points that made me realize I was `out of line',even though it was unintentional.I feel bad about it now.I only wanted you not to feel bad and worry about being in a strange country,but boy,did I fail in that! If you read my `Miguel corrected' post afterwards,you'll see I meant no insult.I still feel badly though.Please forgive me?

Don--

I read the post you're talking about--

The one you made about Hungary--

I read it after I read all the other posts complaining about how insensitive and crass etc.etc......

So, when I finally read your post that upset everyone, I was suprised to see it wasn't totally offensive....

It did come across as ethno-centric, and perhaps a little condesending--- but not hurtful or mean.... I guess it's all in how you read it, or what you read into it.

People are also more sensitive now--- after the tragedy.

No,Wayne,I wasn't trying to be mean or hurtful,but just the same,I stuck my foot in my mouth and certainly should be more tactful in the future.I'll try not to seem condescending in the future too.I have nothing to be condescending about,after all.I was just genuinely curious and like I said to Miguel,after I re-read it,I knew I'd blown it.Oh well ! The Bible says we all sin with the tongue and I certainly did that time.Thanks.Are you recovering well?Have you been out on the `ped yet?

no problem guys. i think it's still one of the quirks about internet communication. picking up the subtle nuances of meaning in written communication is tough. so we all make mistakes.

i'll see if i can get marci to post again ... but she's almost never on computers ... usually working on her art projects or something.

Ron Brown /

Don,

>Please forgive me?

Hey, its the Christian thing to do.

Aren't we happy this conversation did not take place in a bar after one too many. : )

Ron

Yeah,Ron,I used to see some guys get heated up over nothing after some drinks,and some guys just got merrier and merrier until they passed out.It's just genetics,I guess.Me? I don't get heated up at all unless it's life or death or being insulted pretty heavily.Like the Bible says:`a word causing pain,makes anger to come up'.Even if something's true,bluntness is not as successful usually as tactfulness.

Wow, this is craziness. Sorry I haven't posted in so long, but it sure was interesting to see where one short email message led to. Don you are forgiven. Yes, I was angry at first, then I realized everyone else stood up for me even though they don't know me and the whole thing seemed kind of funny. What do I miss about Hungary? The language, Budapest, my friends, all of my favorite places, and every thing else familiar and no longer near. I have seen a lot of the U.S. and it too is amaizing. But, my home will always be first in my heart. Just to let everybody know, yes, I am a girl. I did get picked on in Hungarian school for having a boy's name. I am a U.S. citizen but my parents were missionarys, so I grew up there. Ron, thanks especially for standing up for me! I remember you from the BBQ. Ahra, I may not have Hungarian blood, but I get just as irate when it comes to having to defend my homeland. I am very proud of Hungarians and they have not had an easy past. By the way, I think I've been to Szolnok. Miguel you are a good friend. So, peace to everyone and keep riding!

Thank you,Marci! I've been waiting to hear from you.Enjoy yourself and I hope you get to visit your Hungary soon too.BYE!

Ahra Majniu /

Ron:

Yeah you're right, we're both idiots. I guess we both relied on our circumstances (like Hungarian language in my case) but now we're smarter)))

Don Ohio: I'm happy we cleared the question, I must have been too patriotic.

Any ways, Hungary isnt a bad place to spend a few weeks, but living here sucks.

Oh and sorry for the delay with the reply, just had some problems with the computer.

Thanks,Ahra! I'll try not to sound so stupid in future posts.But I'm afraid it might be genetic in my case.LOL!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account