Bogging down is better but...

Ok, I just tested out the 80 puch after cleaning the carb again the other day. It is going _alot_ better now - only a little bogging down when the throttle is wide open. Had it about 20 - 25 mph on our street.

Question though...is the gas cap vented? There doesn't seem to be enough flow through the gas line/filter (all new) to the carb after about 5 minutes. When I open the cap, gas gushes down the line and floods the carb - gas all over the place - out through the primer plunger. I think if I get this resolved, the thing will run pretty good.

Re: Bogging down is better but...

you could always drill a hole in the side of the gas cap, i've heard of this being done before for this reason. Remember to do the side though, as to keep unwanted pollutants out of your gas tank.

no no no you will leak gas like a sieve if you do that... it is a vented cap.. all of them are.. just make sure there is air getting through... a clogged cap would cause the original symptoms of bogging that you had!

if it is gushing out through the primer plunger then your float needle isn't seating... it is rubber at the tip... did you say in a previous post that you sanded or steelwooled it?? if s yo may have inadvertantly scratched it up... it needs to be smooth and supple and seat into the hole so the float can push it up and stop the flow of gas to the bowl that is overfilling it up to the primer!

where is/are the vent(s) on the gascap?

its inside under the seal... sometimes old caps get rusty inside and you cant see it but the fine rust cloggs the hole! :P

Ok...I am back from running the kids around to soccer practice...anyway, I cleaned the carb a 2nd time a few days ago and only then did I realize I could get the little valve with the rubber tip out - I just wiped it off with a rag. Maybe it is dirty again or maybe it just won't seat well - it is kind of intermittant, sometimes it seats and other times not. Maybe I'll take another look at it.

The cap was really cruddy (along with the tank - which I Kreemed). The cap I did take steel wool to - it is very rusted out. It does not appear to vent at all which I guess is why when I take it off, gas fills the fuel line really well and then overfills the carb. I'll take another look at it. Thanks.

Just pulled the gas cap apart...gonna buy a new one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account