JERRY!

Sorry i pick on you alot, its just because you seem like the smartest guy here about mopeds, especially the tfr's...Anyway, i was wondering if you have to pedal the moped to start it, because when i first got it it was going on the first kick or so, without pedaling a full rotation. But now, when it sits over night, i have to pedal it like 9-10 rotations. Once it starts, and stays warm, i can turn it off and juct kick off and starts instantly. Does this happen to you too???

-Jay

Re: JERRY!

The TFR is jetted on the lean side,and can take a while to warm up.The way they they designed the choke(Tomos is the same thing),when you open the throttle,the choke turns off.I always kick start mine on the stand,and it usually starts on the first or second kick.Keeping it running until it warms up is another matter.It usually has to run for two or three minutes before it will idle by itself.I used to just keep revving the throttle a little until it warmed up,but recently,I've been using the throttle cable adjuster,(it's under a black rubber cover,on the cable,right next to the throttle housing)to increase the idle speed just a little till it warms up,then turn it back down.You have to slide the rubber cover down the cable to get to the adjuster.I just leave mine slid down.Loosen the adjuster so you can turn it by hand,and don't tighten it back with a wrench.It will stay put without being more than hand tight.Then I can put on my helmet and glasses,and push it outside(I keep it in my living room),while it is warming up,then screw the adjuster back in by hand,get on, and go.I may look into getting a bigger jet,but am not sure yet.It runs just fine once it is warmed up.Did you ever figure out what was causing the spark plug problem?A fouled plug can make an engine very hard to start,if it will start at all.Fouled plugs are usually caused by a rich mixture(air/fuel),too much oil in the gas,or a plug gap that is too small.Too much idling and low speed operation can also cause plugs to foul,because the oil deposits never burn off.Once you get it through the break in period,take it out on the road and ride it about 100 miles or so.Mine ran much better after I did that.

You run your 'ped in the house? Your house mate(s) must love that!!!

I back it up to the front door,and open the door before starting it.During the week,my housemate consists of one cat,which I couldnt care less about.If my kids are there,I don't run it in the house.

Yeah, you know i learned the hard way about the reserve switch. When you run out of gas, theres still like 2 oz or so of reserve gas in the tank. I switch onto reserve, and i go. I learned that the other day. I get about 70-80 miles per gallon plus whatever the reserve is. I wasn't too sure about the spark plug, the one that came with the bike went out ofer 60 miles, but the new one is doing just fine. I also just realized that i have to have plates, turning signals, and mirrors. I was pulled over by a police officer, and he told me so. That was strange becasue i thought that mopeds in AZ didn't need plates or anything. Well, i think ill have to order some signals, or search around for some. But, i cant rie for about another week!!

-Jay

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account