Why Solex?

I was checking out the VeloCruz web site and was surprised at how much they cost, they aren't particularly fast or attractive nor are there any performance upgrades. So why are they the same price as a new tomos sprint? is there something more to these than just nostalgia?

Re: Why Solex?

Don Pflueger /

there are performance parts. mostly home made, but there is a solex racing club and these guys are flying. scary

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.velocruz.com/home.htm Basic transportation. Jim.

I'm looking for an old Solex right now. I want one, because they are simple, light, proven, and not run-of-the-mill.

Don Pflueger /

i'm glad i got rid of mine.

really? why?

Don Pflueger /

most irritating junk i ever wrenched on. long story.

I actually sort of like the look of the Solex.I think they should have put the motor over the back wheel,though.I work for a municipal fleet services dept.,and we work on a lot of John Deere equipment,from weed eaters to the big stuff.I am currently trying to build a John Deere moped out of old bicycle,weed eater,and tractor parts.It is about half done.I am waiting for some more usable parts to show up.When it is done,it should look something like a Solex with the engine in the back.(except for the John Deere paint).

Re: Why Solex? JD

Leon Swarmer /

Jerry,

You CAN'T have my JD bicycle to make it out of. stay away.

5 speed made between 73-75.

Leon

Re: Why Solex? JD

Don't worry,I have my own. Jerry.

Don Pflueger /

good luck with the weedeater engiune if it is an actualk weedeater brand. they are too underpowered to move anything.

It is a string trimmer engine,but is made by John Deere.I've seen them on go-peds before.I think Viza brand scooters use them.It may not work well,I'll just have to see what happens.I don't think the bicycle will support a tractor engine.

Don Pflueger /

all the weedeater products are made by poulan. thats their low end line. john deere doesnt make any small equipment. even some of their small lawn tractors are stamped by someone else such as mtd. their big equipment is awesome tho.

You're right.The engine was made for John Deere by Mitsubishi.It is a fan cooled, 43cc,pull start 2-stroke.It came off a really big weed eater.I have completely dissassembled it,checked everything,it seems to be a high quality engine.And even though John Deere didn't build it,you can get parts for it through a John Deere dealer.I believe Homelite is a part of John Deere too.Their stuff is junk.

Legendre, There is a nice model 5000 for sale on ebay at the moment. It's advertised as a 3800. Brian

Check your facts. I have attached a photo of my friend's solex. It goes 115 km/h. (Let's see your tomos do that.) It is in the super-proto class. In France, they have 24 hour races, with teams of three drivers, five different classes from stock to super-prototype.

Over ten million solexes have been manufactured since 1946. It is the world's second most popular motorbike after the Honda 50. Solexly,Brian

1115185966_proto1.jpg

Here's a photo of the 115 km/h solex motor.

1115186099_proto2.jpg

Don Pflueger /

i own a lawn and garden repair shop. homelite and john deere are not related. but you can get parts for it at any lawn mower repair shop. the best thing you can do with that engine is to throw away the single mixture screw carb and use a walbro wta, or wtb series with high and low speed mixture screws. i've repaired thousands of weedeater products, and have a junk pile of them, and have never seen one with the carb i recommended to you.

BrianSolex,

Is that the original frame? Was it beefed up? Looks good!

Rob

Wow, I'll bet you can chew up tires with that! Don't get me wrong I have a solex and love it, It just seemed like a high price for such a machine. Where did those parts come from anyway?

Thanks,I'll look into it.Right now,I'm still trying to devise a way to mount it on the bike.Not sure whether to go with chain drive or friction drive.At this point,it kind of depends on what kind of parts I can come up with.I have access to a machine shop,not CNC or anything like that,but I can make a few parts.I'm trying to do this without spending any money on it,and I'm not really in a hurry.I have a kinetic TFR,and an "03 Tomos ST to ride now.

two words "btichin solex" that dam thing is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! how does the motor run some many roms on them tires deff. in a 24 hour race!!

BlAiR

There's nothing original on this one! It's a super-prototype.

Sorry Rob, I didn't check and see that you owned a solex. Solex people take a beating here, so I thought I'd throw it back for once. Check out these sites:

http://zone103.free.fr/mob/solex

http://paacsolex.site.voila.fr

http://solexclub.free.fr

They're in French but you can check out the photos and get the idea.

The University of Buffalo sent a team over there last year to race for the first time. They raced in the modified class and totalled their bike I think on the 44th lap, but they had a blast and everybody was very cool with them. Here's the site:

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/Students/Organizations/ubsolex

They don't chew up tires like you'd think.

Thanks Brian. I just wanted to know.

check out my post to wiffleball for some links to solex racing sites.

solexes don't eat up tires like you'd think, not even this machine. check out my last post to wiffleball to for some links to solex racing sites.

This bike is in france and all of the parts are from there or homemade.

As for the price for new ones, the companies that make them don't own the name and have to "rent" it so there's some cost there. At the moment, they are not mass produced so I suppose that brings up the cost a bit. They're also working on getting the bikes to pass new EU standards and had to develop a new muffler so add on some research and developement costs, etc. blah blah. The quality was not so good for a couple of years, but everything has been improved recently. The hungarian ones are now produced by Cyclopres, and no longer Impex, and a new factory is opening in northern France and will be in full swing by June.

200 mpg!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account