The New Golden Age of Mopeds

Vimy Ridgeway /

Okay, if high gas prices are here for a while, who besides me thinks we're in for a revival of the golden age of mopeds, i.e. the 70s?

Just a couple of trends I have noticed in recent months:

(1) The prices of used mopeds seems to be going up -- more demand?

(2) People are dumping their SUVs; I was offered a 97 Pathfinder with 40,000 miles on it for $4700 last week.

(3) A Volvo dealer told me of a lawyer trading in his Escalade for a V40 with the turbo four-banger for the summer. His commute to the cottage was costing him $200 round trip.

(4) A hockey buddy told me his commute to Toronto in his Honda CRV costs him $800 a month.

(5) My wife and I decided to sell our two six-cylinder execu-sedans for a TBD small wagon.

What do others think? Are people starting to go 'Whoops?'

Re: The New Golden Age of Mopeds

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

It happens every time there is a gas crunch and drilling in Alaska in a very short term solution if a solution at all. We need high MPG vehicles like Mopeds and much smaller cars. Jim.

Suv's are pathetic, they are suppose to be good at both road and "0ff-road", but they seem to suck at both. The only good suv is the Porche cayenne. But anyways, suv's use too much gas and spray out to much co2, so i would never dram of buy one.

I agree. I think the mopeds are past due for a comeback. My thoughts are that people are uninformed on them.... they need to be advertised more. I think Tomos needs a commercial or something.

My jeep Cherokee is pretty good off road, I've driven through mudd holes where the water was pushing up over the hood. I get about 22-25mpg with it. I's a rusty heap with just over 212000 miles on it. It's the only real SUV. Old "Grumpy" never lets me down!

Stel What experience do you have with SUV'S? I have owned several and find them to do the job they were designed to perform.MPG is not good but I knew that-when I bought them, just as I knew my new moped would not protect me from the weather or my house might not withstand a tornado. Jim.

I think there is a difference between the old blazers, jeeps, and broncos and the newer behemoths. I'm not sure a Lincoln navigator could fit on a trail, heck it barely fits in a parking spot. I think the problem really lies in the mentality that seems to be attracted to them. I'm not sure though that this is not me just trying to justify my old rusty friend.

See Ya Moped Army /

As much as I would like to see it happen, I doubt it ever will again.

We got a Mitsubishi pajero at home. It's crap off-raod. But we got some friends with a REAL off-roader. A land-rover... old one.. from the 70's. now thats more like it! Locked diff's froant and back! Real shocks and a low geard gear-box.

But anyways i think such cars are bad for the enviroment so i dont like them anyway.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review136317.html -- Stel, read a Mitsubishi review. Do you think a Land Rover is a good road vehicle?Jim.

many people I have talked to think a moped is INPRACTICAL! Can you believe that? but, you can't haul anything bigger than a shoebox. can't carry passengers. unsafe in traffic, and slow, looks stupid, etc etc etc...... before you make remarks shooting my remarks down, these aren't my thoughts, only things that i've heard. I LOVE MOPEDS!

Mike, this happens all the time. Some people think that dissing some one else's ride makes their ride look better. Jim.

Matthew Westberg /

People want to cling to stupid unworkable ideas? Fine, let 'em go broke.

Cars, gas and insurance are so damned expensive I can't even begin to think of getting one, and I make 27k a year.

This new millenium ain't no golden age of ANYTHING.

This is the 50cc moped trike I would like to have. Jim

I just don't see mopeds ever coming back in any significant numbers.Somehow the social mentality is just different now than it was in the seventies.Where I live,almost everybody has large suv's.I don't see them giving them up for anything.Even with gas at $2.50 a gallon,the local Hummer dealer just can't keep the things in stock.He already has hundreds of deposits on '06 models.These things get 5 to 7 mpg,and there are thousands of them on the roads around here.I've seen 2 year old used ones with close to 100,000 miles on them.I wish somebody would let me in on where they are getting all this money.My doctor can't even afford one.He drives a 5 year old Dodge Caravan.

What the U.S. could use would be small cars with a small motor and great gas mileage. Why dont you see many of them here like europe has? Because no one would buy them so it wouldnt make financial sence to try to market them. I have seen more geo metros and ford festivas on the road lately. On a similar topic have you noticed that many suv drivers cant stand mopeds and bicycles.

I rode one mile the other day and got passed by two suvs one stood on the horn for 500ft as he flew by me and the other yelled out the familiar *UCK YOU and the one finger salute. Maybe they are jealous.

Now that we have mass-produced, practical cars that get 50-60 MPG, I don't think people are going to look to 2-wheel transportation for economy. We didn't have them in the '70s. The Toyota Prius is very popular here in Southern California and the dealers can't even keep them in stock, will only offer you what's available and not really what you want, will make you wait for what you want, etc. My parents tried to buy one, but settled for a RAV4 instead. As for really small microcars, new ones are not allowed in the US, because there is a certain size they have to be to meet crash standards.

Jeff

Honestly, I dont understand how people do it now adays... People work really shitty jobs, own a brand new 40,000 dollar SUV, have gorgeous houses, put their kids through college, buy their kids cars, pay insurance, pay taxes, and buy food every week. Either that or they go out every night. Not to mention gas bills, water bills, and fuel for the vehicles. HOW DO PEOPLE AFFORD IT!?!?!?!

My parents make around 60,000-70,000 a YEAR between them. We have 2 used vehicles with basic collision, payed 500 bucks for one, one was inherited. No mortgage on the house. My parents shell out 6,000 bucks a year to help me with college, I pay the other 4,000 off EVERY YEAR on my own with my summer job and other odd jobs. We own a couple cows, and a couple pigs, and we sell the beef and pork every year and make a few bucks off of that... my father also has a tree service that he does on the side and makes some good money doing that.

We lead a fairly simple life, we've never gone out of state on a big vacation as a family in all my 20 years of being alive. Basically... I am VERY aware of what things cost and am VERY aware of what it takes to earn an honest buck. My parents, to this day, struggle with mediocre financial problems...

I'm studying to become a teacher. Making from 20,000 to hopefully 40,000 at some-point in my career. I am VERY aware that I will NEVER make 6 figures in my lifetime unless by the grace of God someone realizes that teachers do more work and are more important to the development of our country and our children than Derek Jeeter and Slappy Mc. BlueLips. (I am from Massachusetts, lol)

So I just dont understand how people can afford to live the life they do. Nor do i understand what drives people to have the biggest and the best of everything around. I am perfectly happy being a student, working, and having only a moped as my means of transportation. But think for a minute....

What kind of job... in rural america will allow someone to buy...

1) A 40-50,000 dollar SUV

2) A 250,000-500,000 dollar House

3) Put kids through college

4) Have kids in general

5) Buy food

6) Buy gas

7) Maintain the house and the vehicle

8) Bills

9) Insurance

10) Taxes

11) Have more than 1 credit-card

12) Clothing

13) AND have savings...

Either there is some Get Rich Quick scheme that I'm missing or these people are in SERIOUS DEBT.

I just dont get it....

danny, i've been wondering all that for years. once you start building credit they keep giving you more. most people are living off credit.

That's rediculous... I have an ATM card right now... and that is about all I want lol. Not that I'm affraid of credit-cards. When I'm on my own I plan on having 1 and ONLY 1 credit card... It's just crazy how people are with money. I mean, I am a full believer in "you only live once" but God, these people act like tomorrow will never come.

nah i want this check out the pic

1115097510_benelli00.jpg

Matthew Westberg /

You said it right there, DEBT.

Most households are three missed paycheques away from total financial collapse. What's sadder is that the single greatest indicator of potential bankruptcy is not the type of job you have or even your level of fiscal responsibility, no it is the mere fact of just having children.

We've spent the last 20 years fooling ourselves into thinking we're better off than the previous generation, when the opposite is in fact the truth. Just as a single basic fact: the real north American standard of living when corrected for inflation has not risen in 15 years. Notice how families carry more debt than they did 20 years ago but typically have two parents working, and yet still possess the same 1-2 cars, 2-odd kids and mid-sized house on average that they have since the 60's, of course I'm generalizing. Cheaper consumer goods have helped fuel this false notion of progress, as more of our income can be directed away from clothes, furniture and electronics to housing and transport and in many cases food, which have all risen in price (especially housing).

Throwing advertising for ostentatious white elephants like SUV into the mix makes things worse as people make make more and more decisions purely for the image value inherent in them. Regardless of whether an SUV is good off-road or not, how often do you have a NEED for that ability? Do you need it badly enough to justify paying double for the car and the gas to fuel it? Nobody wants to think of themselves as 'poor' and part of this means doing better than your parents, buying more and better things than they had.

The reality is that like it or not, the current generations really are worse off, and it's not getting better anytime soon.

(But hey, I don't have my references for any of that right here, so maybe I'm just a miserable pessimist crank spouting all kinds of nonsense on the Internet ;)

Ricardo Bowring /

come on everyone this isn't golden years talk this is depression discussion???? get off the i'm poor thing and work!!! lets go people pick it up it's moped season!!!

Vimy Ridgeway /

Hey Matt,

Capitalism is built on one great big trickle-down. Business employs you, then they sell you stuff, then if you don't buy enough, they have to market to you harder. Now you've pissed them off, they have to spend more. So they try and make you feel inferior for not having all this new neat stuff, so you buy the stuff now to make yourself feel happier and you pay for it later and, when the credit card bill arrives and you can't pay the whole freight, they've got you. What's worse, the stuff didn't make you happy. So you buy more, different stuff. Now they can hire, fire and make you expire if they want to. And you have to run harder to stay in the same place. This is the cornerstone of consumer behaviour modification, sinking in the cruel fishhook of materialism. Feed me, the beast cries, I'm hungry again.

If you don't feed the beast they have to cut jobs. While they are at it, they will look for other ways to cut their expenses, because they can make more money percentage-wise if they put less in. So they outsource, move offshore, retire/sever people early against their will, eliminate jobs entirely. All offices still have reception areas, but few have receptionists, there is no central person to answer a phone, no one has a secretary, etc., etc. Up until Henry Ford's assembly line came into being, workers were regarded as craftsmen who sold as much or as little of their skills as they wanted to. They were paid by piecework. The assembly line changed all that, it made a virtue out of going faster and being more productive, in return for stable, somewhat higher wages. It also chained people to their work. Flash forward, stick some consumer behaviour modication in there, and it's not hard to feel like a two-pound bass caught on 20-pound test. They can play you as long as they like. If they don't like you, yank, you are gone. It will probably happen to everyone at least once in their lifetime.

Pretty depressing, huh? If there is a trick to it all, it's resisting the siren song of materialism. Don't buy a new car, buy an older one. Don't buy on credit, but if you have to, pay it off ASAP. Never buy a depreciating asset, only ones that appreciate, make a virtue out of being second, live simply, all that stuff. Off course, that requires you to feel good about yourself and not be persuaded/marketed otherwise. Try this: would you rather be a fisherman than a fish? Who has the most freedom?

Sorry for the rant. Caught my company tying the fly for me 16 years ago: "Let's trade this white middle-aged male motherfucker for a cheaper, younger female, preferably from a Third World country." That was just about the rationale and it turned out that way. One day when they weren't looking, I escaped the pond and swam like hell.

Free and fishing since 1989.

I have and drive a bunch of old cars that came into my possession for a couple hundred bucks or free because no one else wanted them. Now they're classics that are appreciating. I do all my own work on them and pay dirt cheap insurance and registration. The only ones who make money off of me are the auto parts store and parts remanufacturers. Even rebuilt parts are really cheap compared to parts for any newer vehicle. It's fun living cheap and beating the system!

Jeff

Philip Arnold /

did you get this off the SmC forum???

Philip Arnold /

my ex father-in-law makes 80000+ a year teaching at a high school!!!

he obviously sells drugs on the side.

teachers dont make jack shit

teaching has got to be one of the most under-appriciated professions. go to 4 years of college, barely make $30,000 a year. if it werent for teachers, there would be no doctors, lawers, etc,etc.

You're telling the kid who's major is English and Secondary Education :). Lol. Believe me, I know what I'm getting into.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account