how to get wrist pin out?

Chris Sorensen /

OK, I removed the two clips, but still can't pull the pin out to get my piston off. Anyone have any tips/tricks as I don't want to bust anything up?

Thanks,

Chris

how to get wrist pin out?

Chris Sorensen /

It's a Puch Maxi by the way with a Polini kit on it if that helps.

Re: how to get wrist pin out?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Have a machine shop press it out. Jim

get one of those 6 in 1 screw drivers, the ones that have the removable bits in each end, the bits fit into a 6mm socket that goes down into the handle of the screw driver, the outer diameter of the socket fits inside the hole of the piston and wont go any further when it buts up to the wrist pin, if you firmly hold and push forward from the other side of the piston/wrist pin so as not to bend the connecting rod as you push the screwdriver shaft against the wrist pin it should pop out,

i have done this numerous times on mayn different cylinders and pistons and it works fine

Chuck Poynter /

All you need is something smaller than the hole in the piston but big enough so it doesn't go thru the wrist pin. Like a nut driver or maybe an old broken screw driver so you can push against the shoulder of the wrist pin. Like was already mentioned Do Not push or pound too hard with out something to support the rod !!!

Cretin

John Joedicke /

Use a deep socket and tap it through

Most wrist pins are full floating, meaning that they are free to turn in the small end of the rod as well as being free to turn in the piston bosses. Some wrist pins are locked in the connecting rod but they are quite rare. What make/model of 'ped are you working on?

Sometimes, when the piston is cold the pin will be tight in either the piston or the rod. Take a propane torch or even a hai dryer set on hot and heat the piston, then use an appropriate diameter socket on and extension to push the pin out. Do not bang on it as you do not want to bend the rod.

Lastly, if you are new to this site you should have placed this question in the Moped Repair forum, not in the general section

Good luck

Double is right. That's all you need to do.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account