Bogging down - Puchman or somebody else...

So, I got the 1980 Puch started today after cleaning the gas tank over the past few days...thanks for all the advice on that.

The moped idles ok but doesn't have much power and bogs down when I try to get it going any faster than say 5 mph or so. Won't even get up the small incline on my driveway.

I cleaned the carb also. The ignition looks good to my eye - points have about a .018 gap or so (eyeballing it) and are open when the timing mark is about 4 o'clock. I also have a new spark plug.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jim

Re: Bogging down - Puchman or somebody else...

Courtis Fuller /

I know you cleaned the carb. But it sounds to me like your main jet is clogged.

Thanks, I'll clean it again. Also, I forgot to mention that the button (priming plunger) on top of the carb leaks fuel - sometimes alot, sometimes a little or not at all. Does that also indicate a dirty carb?

Courtis Fuller /

No, that means that your float is stuck open, or out of adjustment.

Courtis Fuller /

Make sure to take the needle valve and seat out and clean them well.

this happen to me friday,i had the idle to high,try adjusting that if those other ideas dont work

Did you clean the fuel filter/tap?

You could be starving the carb for fuel?

Courtis Fuller /

Yeah, forgot about that. Check and make sure you have a good flow of fuel to the carb.

Ok...I will get the carb off later and clean it again. I installed a new filter, petcock and clear hoses so I can see the fuel is flowing pretty good. I think the comment about the stuck float must be part of the problem - that might be why fuel leaks out sometimes and sometimes not. I'll let ya'll know how it works out in a day or two - my wife is ready to kill me as I am spending alot of time on it as it is...hahaha.

Jason Luther /

heh welcome to the club. mopeditis is weighing on countless marriges. how is the trans fluid?

It is funny that you'd ask (about the trans fluid). I changed that too but probably overfilled the case - I guess it should be about the level of the fill plug no? So I opened the plug and let some drain out. I ran the ped after that and there wasn't any difference.

Anyway, I snuck out to take the carb off and clean it again. This time I was able to get the float off and the little valve that it operates and I also backed the main seat out - something I also didn't do before, and polished the needle with some fine steel wool. I put it back and connected the fuel and it doesn't leak out of the primer thingy so that might be a good sign. Didn't have the nerve to start it though - kinda late now.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account