words of wisdom?

My moped is going to be functional this week, and as a new rider I'm looking for anything that I should know before I hit the streets--anyone?

Re: words of wisdom?

Timmy Southpark /

just wear a helmet and dont go fast till your comfortable riding it. Feel out the brakes, etc... know what you bike can and cant do.

Oh, and for the bikes sake, dont go full throttle all the time. And when your going down hill, please dont gun it... motors can break and blow!

Have fun, its a blast on a moped!

Ride at Full throttle for as long as you can anytime you can especially down super steep hills... that's the most fun on the planet! mopeds are not for the faint of heart GO FOR IT!! rofl ... sorry I just had to say that:)

Timmy Southpark /

haha!! well, if you dont value your bike then what the hell! BLOW YOUR MOTORS!!! Its like a mitusbishi, they blow headgaskets everywhere when driven at full throttle.

Don Pflueger /

ride like you are invisible.

Don Pflueger /

dont think ive ever not run a bike at full throttle. 2 strokes are capable of unlimited prm. 4 strokes will blow up easily.

Edward Richardson /

Asphalt burns, concrete grinds, gravel chews and impregnates. Respect the road.

Yeah, just remember:

The feel of the wind running through your hair, can quickly turn into the feel of the curb running through your scalp.

WEAR A HELMET

And as don points out, ride like you are invisible. Don't ask yourself "Do they see me?" - just assume they don't, and ride accordingly.

Chris Slamminson #116 /

Watch out for tailpipe burns if you are wearing shorts, and always assume your bike is going to be stolen, so lock it up when you are not riding, even if it is indoors!

If you park your bike on soft ground ie: anything other than pavement, shut the fuel petcock off, since if it falls over, the gas may run out. This has happened to me before!!

Finally, defend your lane while riding, some cars will like to steal your lane if you ride too far to one side.

And I too agree on Don's wisdom. Cars will act like you are not there, especially while they are turning.

Leon Swarmer /

find and empty parking lot to get acquainted with the ped.

do circles. serpantines, practice panic stops using both brakes carefully.

I'd like to add...if you lock and cover the ped, lock it to something. I've had the wind blow my ped over under a cover.

wear gloves, too, if you pile it up your hands will proly make first contact with the pavement.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account