advice to buying a new cheap moped

Hello,

I have investingatin the moped scence for quite some time; mostly cheap new models. I found out a website entitled gsmotorworks.com. They have new models with some features and visaul appeal. But I am new on the moped scene, so I don't if for some reason it is not recommend to buy from such source, or if the such mopeds are low grade/quality ones.

Thanks,

pdwald

Re: advice to buying a new cheap moped

Ricardo Bowring /

hey dude those are scooters, an no I wouldn't buy from that site there's plenty of places in michigan to buy from if your looking for a moped "with pedals" there available in kalamazoo. you should buy used, let me know what your looking for ...etc..

Benny Mnich /

If your looking for a scooter, I just found this on the web---

>Vento just announced that any customer who buys a Zip before

May 30th will get $200 back directly from the factory. That brings

the total cost down to $1179 which includes delivrey to your

home. If you have been thinking about buying one now is

probably the best time to do it.<

http://www.scootersus.com/zip.html

Hello,

First and foremost, sorry about my ignorance with respect to scooters and moped (but some webpages call them mopeds).

There are some points that are not clear for me: such legislation and the why the ones from gsmotorworks are not recommended. First the legislation in michigan says:"a moped is two/three wheeled vehicle with a motor wich has no more than 50cc piston displacement producing two brake horsepower or less. The moped must have a power drive system that does not require shifting gears and cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces."; so from the legislation viewpoint would there be any difference between a scooter and a moped as far as they meet prerequisites? And what abou the speed, 30mph is not what I considered fast and currently I don't have a drivers licence but I wil obtain moped license soon I have to restrict myself to moped as a mean of transportation. The 30mph not only limit my speed, but also the range of option I would have otherwise (it must be up to 30mph, I don't want to pay more to change the engine). Second, what is wrong with the ones of gsmotorworks, I mean the price is affordable, the scooters look nice with and have some features, etc.

Thanks for the link, but I have a limit of 30mph.

I haven't cogitated buying a pre-owned one. I had far too many problems in the past with used vehicles; I don't know for sure. What would you have in Michigan Dude that could beat the ones at the aforementioned website; considering that there is nothing inheretly wrong with the ones from the gsmotorworks (which I don't know yet).

Thanks for the reply,

pdwald

this is fast and afordable, it goes like 40- 45 http://www.backstreetscooters.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=101 its realy considerd a NO-PED but its nicer then a scooter, and if a scooter is where your heart is at then i would go and talk ask around the scooter forum i cant recall the site right now but mostly all the people on here know the site, also the link i gave you if yo look around you can probly get that for around 700

Benny Mnich /

>cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces.&quot;

That's what the paper work says when you buy them. They call them restricted. But in reality they will go much faster.

40 to 60mph depending on which one you buy.

Here's the site for the NOPEDS.

http://www.rcmoto.com/mopeds.htm

Also see this post. He's the guy selling them.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/189671/189671/

Ricardo Bowring /

benny that is a good deal plus you get a rebate awesome...

Ricardo Bowring /

i know, but up in east lansing you'll have no place to park it... you might want to consider a moped at least you'll be able to park it and lock it, wilthout minimal damage's not that I know from experience but your bound to get something stolen up there because of the high demand..anyways I know a couple of people up there for hook ups'// let me know rico

ok dude hers the moped qualifacation supoosedly under 50cc and it has a pedal start no mater what they say just look for those 2 things othwerwisejus forgwet about ti and ur wastin ur money. and anythin ova 1500 for a moped isnt cheap

>cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces."

>That&#8217;s what the paper work says when you buy them. They call > >them restricted. But in reality they will go much faster.

>40 to 60mph depending on which one you buy.

Sorry, but I guess I did not get it. The legislation indicates that the maximum speed for a moped be considered a moped is 30mph. And the retailer announces the maximum speed of the moped as being between 30 to 35 mph; so should I understand that the moped announced is able go even faster (like 40/45/50mph). I used tho think that the retailer would try to superestimate the speed and performance in order to sell more. The following is scooter I am talking about:

http://www.gsmotorworks.com/s_standard_sport.html

The speed, and other specifications, are announced and described on their website (it is not necessary on the paperwork). Or would you mean that the reseller would announce 30-35mph and put 25 on the paperwork.

Chris, so you mean that by definition a moped must have pedals; otherwise it is not considered a moped.

See Ya Moped Army /

Many states, including my home state of NJ, require mopeds to have a top speed of 25 mph. The only thing that NJ DMV looks for on the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) is the "Moped" classification and the "hp" rating. The speed of the bike is not indicated on the MSO. Many of the "noped" sellers like RCMoto, will put whatever hp rating will qualify it as a moped in your state of residence, regardless of it's true "hp" rating. While this is clearly illegal, it is being done so they can sell more of their nopeds.

Every state has it's own legislative definition of a moped, but the true definition of a moped is a motorized pedal bike with a helper motor of less than 50cc.

See Ya Moped Army /

Without "ped", it's a no-ped.

rico, yeah, the parking situation can be a problem in east lansing somehow; but I think it would be probem in most towns, cities, etc; but it is certainly something to be considered, and being a university town certainly does not help. Tthe one from th website (gsmotorworks) has a final price (including s&h) of 749 and it includes a bunch features. But I am open to ideas and suggestions, and would be interested in checking out your hook ups in east lansing.

pdwald

Ricardo Bowring /

theres an article on msn video that might clarify something up for you, the pocket bike myth tells it all check it out it give you legal ramifications

The problem is that the legislators that write the laws do not ride tham and as such do not know the true meaning of the word. It would appear that in Michigan a 50cc limited speed scooter falls into their definition of a "moped".

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Same for Virginia Silverfox andI love it. Jim.

Benny Mnich /

>The problem is that the legislators that write the laws do not ride tham and as such do not know the true meaning of the word.<

Regardless of the true meaning of the word, Pedals have been droped world wide to get the scooter and noped under the moped laws.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/M/Mo/Moped.htm

Benny Mnich /

>Sorry, but I guess I did not get it. The legislation indicates that the maximum speed for a moped be considered a moped is 30mph. And the retailer announces the maximum speed of the moped as being between 30 to 35 mph; so should I understand that the moped announced is able go even faster (like 40/45/50mph). I used tho think that the retailer would try to superestimate the speed and performance in order to sell more.<

Here's an example---Now it's a moped when you buy it.

49cc displacement

Xr Honda Engine

HP 1.8 (restricted)

Top speed 30mph (restricted)

Fuel economy: 110 mpg

Now you remove a few parts and---Now it's a MC when you ride it.

49cc displacement

Xr Honda Engine

HP 4.9 (unrestricted)

Top speed 50mph (unrestricted)

Fuel economy: 100 mpg

Benny Mnich /

From this website---Click on "shopping advice"

http://www.solanocycle.com/

This is for scooters, not mopeds.

DE-RESTRICTION:

Most 50cc bikes come with a 30mph limiter. When these limiters are removed(aka de-restricted), the bike may go from 30mph-50mph, depending on the model. If want to go faster than 30mph, you should consider how difficult it is to remove the limiters before purchasing the bike. Restrictors are most commonly found in the exhaust pipe, on the transmission/front variator, and on the CDI (electronic controller). De-restriction can be as simple as cutting a wire, or removing a washer from your transmission/variator. Before de-restricting a bike, you should check to see if it is legal in your state.

Thanks a lot, I will check out!

You should also consider parts avaiability. Mopeds as opposed to scooters are likely much easier to work on as they dont have a ton of covers and the engine is usually open. It will break down sooner or later things do that. Buy one locally from a dealer if possible as you don't want to wait weeks for parts to come in. As far as speed goes, anything is legal until you get caught. I think if you went the extra for a Tomos sprint you'd be glad you did.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account