Odometer calibration/verification

Matthew Westberg /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Okay, so my new bike (Tomos Streetmate) should be here in a month (ARGH! SICK OF WAITING!) and something has been bugging me for a while now.

When I took the demo model the dealer had for a ride, the odometer was WILDLY off... like I went around the parking lot about 7 or 8 times (and this is NOT a large parking lot! he doesn't have road plates for proper test drives) I racked up something like 40 or 50 kms on the odometer (Tomos odometers display in kilometers, right? Because lord help me if that was in _MILES_!!!).

Now, I know full well a moped speedometer/odometer is not the most accurate thing in the world, but this is just fucking RIDICULOUS, your WARRANTY and the dealer's service check depend on that damned reading and I don't feel like riding a bike that says I've gone 6000 klicks after one month. BULLSHIT!

Now, I have two questions:

1 - What is the best way to find out what the odometer is actually reading off? I know someone's going to say 'find a stretch of exactly X kilometers and compare the reading' but that's easier said then done. In addition to any warranty issues, I like having at least a ballpark figure on my mileage.

2 - What's the best way (if any at all) to properly calibrate a shitty odometer to read off the correct mileage?

Anybody?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account