Odometer calibration/verification

Matthew Westberg /

Okay, so my new bike (Tomos Streetmate) should be here in a month (ARGH! SICK OF WAITING!) and something has been bugging me for a while now.

When I took the demo model the dealer had for a ride, the odometer was WILDLY off... like I went around the parking lot about 7 or 8 times (and this is NOT a large parking lot! he doesn't have road plates for proper test drives) I racked up something like 40 or 50 kms on the odometer (Tomos odometers display in kilometers, right? Because lord help me if that was in _MILES_!!!).

Now, I know full well a moped speedometer/odometer is not the most accurate thing in the world, but this is just fucking RIDICULOUS, your WARRANTY and the dealer's service check depend on that damned reading and I don't feel like riding a bike that says I've gone 6000 klicks after one month. BULLSHIT!

Now, I have two questions:

1 - What is the best way to find out what the odometer is actually reading off? I know someone's going to say 'find a stretch of exactly X kilometers and compare the reading' but that's easier said then done. In addition to any warranty issues, I like having at least a ballpark figure on my mileage.

2 - What's the best way (if any at all) to properly calibrate a shitty odometer to read off the correct mileage?

Anybody?

Re: Odometer calibration/verification

you can buy a cheap bike computer for like 15$ and compare the readings

Are you sure you weren't reading the last number to the right as a full km or mile? It is in tenths of miles. My StreetMate soeedo is VERY close. The speedometer part AND the odometer are accurate. don-ohio (:^D

Matthew Westberg /

Maybe, I can't remember now. I only noted cursorily at the time since I was too happy to be taking the first Streetmate test drive in all of Canada (Tomos USA-loaned 2005 demo model).

The solution to this seems clear, easy and obvious to me..

You get the odometer warrantied ;-)

By all means,if it is THAT far off,have it repaired under warranty.The best was to check the accuracy of speedometers and odomoters is with a gps reciever.I have a Garmin E-TREX,and have checked the speedometers on everything I have(a truck,a car,a jeep,a motorcycle,a Kinetic TFR,and a brand new '03 Tomos ST.What I found, is that they are all off at least a little.In fact,the Tomos was probably the closest to being right.

Where did you buy from? Toronto? Oakville. Tomos Canada has them here next to the Airport. Lots of them. I wanted one and was going to buy one three months ago when I tried one in Canada, but was told that they were changing the engine to the A65 from the A55. More power. That's why I waited.

Sorry Bjerg. I was talking about the wrong bike. Tomos Canada does have a few of the street ones, but are demos. They are sitting in their warehouse right now. Say them today. They will be at Mr. Moped later this week. Not for sale though. Just show and tell.

The origional model had the A35 engine. They upgraded them to the A55. That is why they are taking so long in coming to Canada.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account