honda hobbit top speed?

Jason Luther /

i just got my honda hobbit with a pa50-I engine running and took it out for its maiden voyage. a blistering 23 mph. is this how fast it should go? it was running way rich so i have to pull the airfilter about 1/2 way out to get it run smooth. but is the low 20's the prescribed speed for a stock pa50? thanks -jason

Re: honda hobbit top speed?

The PA50-1s were designed to not exceed 20mph. The PA-50-IIs were designed to go as fast as 30mph.

Jason Luther /

grreeaaattt. anyone want to buy a honda? just kidding, thanks.

just because it was built to go slow, doesnt mean it has to go slow.

this is the zen of mopeds

Monty is correct. THis site contains lots of info about the differences in these peds and how to convert them and modify them to go faster. Good luck with it! THey are great ones and actually there are many in Europe. They call them Honda Caminos there.

yea the pa50 motors are slow my friends got 1 and it went about 22 then i fabricated him a biturbo for it accel is a little slow but he hits around 27 now

The way the variator cam plates are designed on the pa501 models restricts the speed by not allowing the front pully to close making the effective diameter larger equaling more speed.

Search the site. There are instructions on how to modify the camplate.

i know this girl with a hobbit and she has a realy fast bike. i'll have to ask her what she did to it.

If you find out what she did, let us know. I cannot get my PA50II over 30mph.

Jason Luther /

yeah, ive got my other peds going about 10 mph over stock, but im not sure im going to keep the hobbit. there are several things i found when i tore it all apart just to clean the carb (pain in the butt) that you could modify. i was just making sure the 23mph was in fact the prescribed top speed. i have to say one thing, its about 1/4 as loud as my other peds and has a super smooth ride. thanks for the info.-jason

They are great mopeds esp for a city ped. I used to commute with mine and after about 16 my fanny would be tired due to the poor seat. That would be my only complaint for the early ones, poor saddle. I guess the later ones had larger, cusher saddles.

The carb access is no problem after doing it a couple times. There are various techniques for doing it depending on how many hands are available for the job.

I have an old milk crate bolted to the rear rack on mine. Speedo is inop, another weak link, but like the energizer bunny, it keeps on going!

50cc.nl has a lot for it but it's listed as the "Camino". they have a modified variator plate, they also have different final drive gears for the rear wheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account