Registration and Insurance in NY

Hello everyone,

I am buying a moped, and I want to register it in New York state. Does anybody know what I have to get from the seller in order to be able to register it? Also, how much is insurance on a moped? Thanks for your time and effort.

Re: Registration and Insurance in NY

crisis--cincinnati /

a bill of sale is all you should need. i don't know about the insurance.

Ron Brown /

Crisi,

Is Cincinnati really in NY?

Ron

STEVE FIGURE ON $50-$100 PER YEAR IN N.Y DEPENDING ON POLICY, AND WHERE YOU GO. SHOP A LITTLE. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN PRICE FROM ONE TO ANOTHER.

Only during the Bengals-Jets game,Ron,`cause the World Series seems to be out of the question for now! Hey,Crisis! Don't be rubbin' it in on these guys how lax our moped laws are here in Ohio.After all,we're spoiled and we know it! LOL!! (:>)Don't need a title! Just a bill of sale! YEEEIIIIPPEEEE !!

NY moped link for steve

Straight from DMV, without the huge lines:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#MOPEDS

Rob

I'm a New York resident who went through this earlier this year. NY does not use titles on mopeds, so a bill of sale, or even better, a signed registration is all you need to register it. Be aware! There are different classes of Peds in NY. Class a is anything that goes less than 30 mph, class b is faster than 30 mph and requires a motorcycle license, plus it must be inspected. I got caught up in this when I registered my Avanti Autopower, lucky for me I have the license.

reg. is $5.00, insurance is $50.00. Ken

Ken! How about the tranny? Anything to report?

Thanks for the reply Ken,

I was who you get your insurance from, and could you give me any points on who I should insure my moped with? Thanks.

-Steve

Ron, I don't know what I was thinking there. I guess I missed the NY part of the title. Yeah, here in Ohio you don't need insurance, and you can get a plate with a piece of paper with signatures. It is great. Even better, I live right across the river in Kentucky. In Kentucky you don't even need plates! Or insurance. We aren't required to wear helmets in either state. We have got it made here! However, I do have Ohio tags, just so that I can ride there. Ohio is like a one minute moped ride away, so I cruise downtown cincinnati a lot.

Ron Brown /

Cris,

Unless they are Michigan, I try to stay out of these, someone usually comes up with a good answer like the NY DMV web site.

Michigan is reasonable too, bill of sale, $15.00 for 3 year tag and no helmet over 18. You do have to have a permit or a drivers license.

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account