The insurance 'games' naver end...

Matthew Westberg /

So, I called up my insurance guys to see how much it would cost to get a second ped added to my policy vs. just changing the ped over to be registered for the new one.

Apprently if I want to have two mopeds on the same policy I have to take out a WHOLE NEW POLICY EACH TIME. What kinda bullshit is this? Was I going to ride six of them at once? I though adding extra vehicles might be another hundred or so (I pay $300+ a year) but not the same over again. What the hell is that> and how do you folks with like 10+ peds manage to pay to have all that shit insured (if you're forced to legally have insurance in your jurisdiction, that is).

Seriously, what the hell? I have to choose ONE and that's IT?!!

Re: The insurance 'games' naver end...

Timmy Southpark /

at the moment i dont have the cash for one... cause i'm still modding mine and etc.... My state dont require insurance, so i'm cool. Yeah, $300 is a lot to pay... i got a quote for like $220 and thought that was high.

You are getting screwed, but that may be how it is in Canada. I will have to pay about $100 for one bike, but if I get 2 insured it will only cost about $180, three would probably be about $250, we get multiple vehicle discounts from most companies, so the more you have, the less you pay per bike. I would shop around if I were you, some company might give the multiple vehicle discount.

i got the same response from my broker. i asked if i could add one bike, and he said i have to pay the same amount that i pay for the other. i said, well, i can't ride them both at once! it's stupid. but two of them are the same colour, so a little plate-switching now and then might work out ok for me! however, i would rather just plate and insure them all but not for the amount of money it's gonna cost. it's ridiculous.

Leon Swarmer /

sorry, but that's the way it is on bikes, cars and houses and anything else insurable.. no you can't ride two peds at once, but a buddy could ride at the same time.

leon

So you don't get a multiple vehicle discount 50plus? Every insurance company I have checked with in the states gives you a multiple vehicle discount, he is saying that you would have to pay a full premium on each vehicle, no multiple discount.

Matthew Westberg /

Exactly.

i suggest moving

if not from one company to the other, to a different place. Paying all the money to register and insure mopeds is ridiculous. It really defeats the purpose of a moped.

I live in New Hampshire, i dont need insurance and i pay $8 to register both of my peds (total).

I wouldnt mind a roomate guys :p

Leon Swarmer /

Ray, You are right I do..sorry I just kinda read that one wrong. I prolly ought to get a fleet rate with the cars my van peds and oh wait the ct200 isn't roadworthy and insured yet.

Yea, I get reductions.

Matthew Westberg /

Well, considering moving would cost me a lot more than the cost of insuring the both of them, that's right out... But still I know that there are some places where a multi-vehicle rate is given out the inconsistency pisses me off.

Timmy Southpark /

It costs me like $42 to lincense my puch here... but thats also with the sales tax of $100. Ohio doesnt require insurance, so $42 for putting my bike on the road for a year is not bad.

I want insurance, but plan to have a couple (maybe even 3) peds for daily riding. IT would suck to pay what they quoted me ($220)... espically if i have to pay that on each bike!! but they might give me a discount if i go to a certain company... all i know is, its not worth $700 a year.

i paid $220 _for_ my puch, i'm not gunna pay the price of the bike for insurance

Timmy Southpark /

AGREED!!! its sad when it cost as much as the bike. I know i'm young, but i have a get driving history... i should need to pay $220 for insurance on a moped.

Hell, i pay $112 a year for my insurance. I have insurance on me, the other driver, an un-insured driver, and property damage incase i wreck and i screw up someones property. I really dont need insurance but being a first time "pedder" i figured it would be a good idea. Especiall with all those 'cagers on the rode lol!

Allen Murphy /

That's good to hear!

Here in WI, vehicle insurance isn't manditory on ANY vehicle, so the insurance companies will suck up more than anywhere else.

Same applies for NH, last time I checked.

Al Murphy

John Joedicke /

Thats scary, no insurance on ANY vehicle. Definitely a state to avoid.

I don't understand the insurance problems you guys are having.Something is wrong somewhere.I have a Yamaha R6(crotch rocket) which I am paying $320.00 a year for FULL coverage on.It is that high,because the insurance company considers it high performance.When I bought my TFR,I had it added to my policy,and it went up a whopping $15.00 a year for minimum liability on the ped.I just bought an '03 Tomos ST,and when I called my insurance agent to add that to my policy as well,I found that it would raise my premium another $5.56 per year.The more you add,the cheaper it gets.I have Dairyland/Sentry insurance.You might want to check them out.

be grateful you live in a country as generous as USA, come to Canada and the insurance companies will ask for your first born :D

Matthew Westberg /

Shit man, the insurance companies here are the reason I can't afford a car!

John Joedicke /

And then they blame it on 9/11. What bullshit because of the re-insurance screwups.

Allen Murphy /

Not really--most people would rather settle it up on a personal level, rather than get a insurance company involved.

Maybe as a whole, this state is a lot more responsable about their dealings with others.

Not like the insurance law mean shit--in Chicago, 25% of the drivers have no insurance, and break the law.

Al Murphy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account