Wheelie? On a Moped?

Nick Napolitano /

I can't seem to pull a wheelie on my 2001 Cosmo Stinger. Is it that a moped in general can't do it? I mean I try to pull it as if I was on my mountain bike but the front wheel loves the ground. I also tried flooring it and then popping the the rear brake but the wheel will not budge. Is it that I just don't have the torque? I mean I can do it on my bicycle no problem and it has no torque and WHOA a Targa LX just flew by my house sounded like a biturbo muffler... anyway is it possible to do a wheelie on my ped?

Wheelie? On a Moped?

Patrick Stover /

yeah dude, on my puch i just have to sit on the rack a bit, give it a little more throttle and the front pops right up, but it is a 2-speed so that might have something to do with it....

Re: Wheelie? On a Moped?

your cosmo must be slow, and heavy. I can hold wheelies on my targa.

Nick Napolitano /

Whoa mike, I know you didn't call my moped slow. You know I could beat you in a race.

Brad Ernsberger /

my QT50 could smoke all yalls mopeds!

i looked at the pic. in your profile, thats a sweet moped. looks better than a tomos LX!

this message was directed to Nick.

Nick Napolitano /

Hey Brad, you think that pile of Japanese crap you call a yamaha could beat my Italian ped? Well think about this. What country built the Ferrari Enzo and what country built the Toyota Corola?

i can ride for like a really long time on my lx. this si what i do, i stand up wile going like 20 then let off the trottle and then give it full trotle and pull real hard then the front starts to come up i sit down and drag my feet, and off i go

BUT!

Which country's economy is sweeter now due to the production on automobiles?

Your bicycle has no torque? Well, it doesn't have a motor producing torque, but:

Let's say that you weigh 150 lbs. Let's say that your pedal cranks are 8" long (these are just easy-to-use figures). If you bear down on the crank with your full weight, you are transmitting approximately 100 foot-pounds of torque to the crank.

Consider that a stock Chevy 350 puts about 275 foot-pounds to the crank. Losses in the drivetrain (automatic tranny) leave about 190 foot-pounds for the wheels. Losses in your bicycle drivetrain are proportionally much lower. Wow, a human being can produce some real torque!

What you can't do, is produce a lot of horsepower (torque doing work). But like a steam engine, a human being produces nearly their maximum torque, before anything even starts to rotate. Ask somebody who has ever driven a steam-powered vehicle (like a Stanley). They may not have high top speeds (horsepower), but they do wicked burnouts (torque).

Thought you might find this info fun to know.

Timmy Southpark /

want to pop a wheelie, buy a dirtbike.

I'll bet the Mitzubishi ZERO was faster!

Jeez, my pa50I will do wheelies. Try a wheelie on a Solex!

Re: Wheelie? On solex

Leon Swarmer /

Adjust the timing so the engine will run backwards..then wheelie the back tire off the ground. Neat trick??

Leon

LOL

Don Pflueger /

just mount the engine to the rear wheel.

Nick,

Only with those that have high torque like Columbia Open Road with Solo engine.

EK

no its all about how you throw your weight backwords,a re u looking to do a wheelie going 30mph or going like 5mph?

yeah the stinger is to heavy to pop a wheelie i have one and its a little difficult.

oh yeah Nick, avanti wasn't made in italy, they are made in india.

Anything can be wheelied...I have seen the proof of that over the summer. They guy that rents the part of our building, handles Busa's and other rice burners. We had a Grand Opening this summer, now you need to understand this guy has a stunt team. Tim our Parts/Mechanic is one of his stunters, as was our one mechanic Anthony. There were stunters from all over doing their stuff in our parking lot. They bet Anthony that he couldn't 12 O'clock a TFR, he did, and took it the length of the parking lot. So I figure if a TFR can be 12 O'clocked, ANYTHING can be wheelied, it's all about the rider...

Again, check out his site...TOCC.BIZ, you may be seeing him on T.V. someday...

Perry Manessis /

Nick, The SuperSport/Stingers weigh 150lbs dry. That means without oil, gas, etc. It has a 2.65 gallon tank (that's 21lbs. if the tank is full). It has sprockets for top end not low end (16 front & 32 rear). It is possible to do it but you will need to be going around 20MPH and hit the gas, lean back and pull up like crazy. The SuperSport/Stinger is a top end cruiser not a low end smoker.

popping a wheelie on a moped is pretty stupid. Why damage a moped or others. My friend ruined my TOmos by putting it on the stand, reving up the engine and pushing forward off of the stand. He popped a wheelie and dumped the bike.

Don't be stupid.

Nick Napolitano /

Do you belive this guy? Popping a wheelie on a moped is stupid! Well duh of course it is! Riding a moped in general is pretty stupid 1 wrong move and your going down. But hey its fun! Most things in life that are fun can harm you 1 way or another!

Timmy Southpark /

riding mopeds arent stupid, they are econimical (sorry spelling)... I personally think most people should commute to work on mopeds. It would conserve gas and put a smile on your face.

Zachary Dudar /

but if you wanted to rebel or be a part of a counter culture, _WHERE WOULD YOU GO!!!!_

soon enough a propper suit and tie, with a nice work ethic will be counter culture. Just wait

Zachary Dudar /

the most unfortunate thing is that your right...

Sometimes I'll throw on a suit and tie just to walk around town. Man, people treat you a lot different! It sucks to be judged that way but luckily it's an easy system to beat.

I can pull a wheelie then slow down and bring the back wheel up in the air. Practice, practice, practice LoL :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account