To sell or not to sell (1980 indian)

so i have this 1980 beautiful indian. its in really great condition and it runs fine except for a couple little probs. its a pain in the butt to get started in the morning and occasionaly i have idleing problems.

I really love this thing and i found out it is gonna cost me 100-150 to get this thing tuned up by the closest moped shop which is 50 miles away ( i live in san francisco ).

At this point im considering just selling the thing and getting a more reliable easier to work on bike like a puch. what do you guys think?

Ist it worth dropping the cash to get it tuned up?

Or should i sell it and if so for how much?

Re: To sell or not to sell (1980 indian)

Sell! TO ME!!

or me! that thing is gorgeous!

:: holds up fists ::

Vimy Ridgeway /

Nice bike. $450 to $600.

haha ::runs away::

but it sure is pretty!

Indians seem to be going for a pretty penny around here. I have talked to some motorcycle shops around here and they say they will work on a 4 stroke moped. The other thing you have to remember is parts are very hard to find for that bike, you might have to wait 2 months till something comes up. Mine runs great. Michigan weather and all. Yours is like 3 times in better condition than mine and I bought mine for $150 mine runs but I have spent 40 bucks already fixing a burned out headlight and some spark issues.

That Indian is so pretty, I want!

i would sell it on ebay and get a tomos arrow. or a nice sweet puch...

yikes that thing is hot where did you get it?!?! can you give me their website? I'm flush with envy.

this is an old '80 moped...

not for sale anymore

g.b.

so i decided to keep it but anyone have any suggestions on how i can add some extra umph? i know you cant get 70cc kits but my GF just got a puch maxi and shes faster than me. we all know that cant stand. so help me kick her ass plz. what can i buy/do to my bike to make it go faster or accelerate faster?

fis it yourself,, learn about the bike, it'll run

Leon Swarmer /

Harold, if there is something that is making it hard to start, it may often make it run slower too. Peds are pretty easy machines.even 4 strokers. Have you changed the plug and points?? give us symptoms on the repair forum.

But by nature of the beast a 2 stroke will rev faster than a 4 stroke. but you should have less maintenance needs, no burning out of the pipe and less plug changes.

You've got a great looking ped. jst get it running right and you'll be happier.

Leon

meh

Chris Slamminson #116 /

150 clams to tune up the bike? You could buy a bike for that much. Sounds shady to me.

Re: meh

ended up costing me $105. i got a tune up new spark plugs and a new fuel regulator. works a little better now.

Chris Slamminson #116 /

I forgot to mention too, that bike is slick!

Leon Swarmer /

So now it looks fine and runs fine..good for you.

Maybe next time you can do it and save $80.00

Leon

i would love to be able to but i wouldnt have the first clue where to start. do they make a "mopeds for dummies"? =P

Leon Swarmer /

yep.

first read Fred's guide.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

Then post on the repair forum.

Most of us are two strokers, but we can get you through it.

Leon

I JUST BOUGHT 2 79 INDIANS, THE OWNERS MANUEL SAYS TO CHOKE AND LET RUN 1 MIN. I GOT ONE RUNNING AND NOTICED IT IS VERY COLD NATURED STARTS GOOD BUT NEEDS YO WARM UP AT LEAST A MIN. AND THATS IN 55 DEGREE WEATHER, I'D HATE TO SEE IT IN 25-30 DEGREE TEMP., MOTOBREEZE

I wouldn't sell it,at least not cheaply.That thing is a classic,and is in beautiful condition.Even if you ever decide you don't want to ride it anymore,just park it in your living room to look at.

gonna sell it for 700 and buy me a suped up puch i think. i would love to hold on to it but i cant keep it and get another bike too. this thing just doesnt have enough umph living in San Francisco with all these hills

Man, I live in Sacramento, I wish I could sell all of mines, and buy this one! Don't kitten it!!! Keep it original, it looks great, I wish my Puch would look little better, it's almost in this condition though! If you ever thinking of selling, I may buy it at a good price though!

Ah the indian that wont idle.

Did eric call you back yet?

If not i cant blame him, they sure are a bit frustrating.

Give me a call and i can work somthing out. I have restored a few mopeds and i have sometime to kill so i can work on it for you.

Ben

<www.westcoastmopeds.com>

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account