Mopeds4U out of Business

See Ya Moped Army /

The only Tomos dealer within 75 miles of my home has gone under. Mopeds4U is out of business. The guy that owned the joint was completely worthless. He kept short and inconsistent hours, kept no parts inventory, did not advertise and could not repair vintage mopeds to save his life. He probably couldn't repair late models either.

Re: Mopeds4U out of Business

See Ya Moped Army /

Oh, it was located in High Bridge, NJ.

Sadly its getting impossible for the small shops to deal any more, A LOT are going under. Blame the government for not putting a stop to the Chinese flood.

damn.. thats where i got my bike from :(

See Ya Moped Army /

You can't just sell/service mopeds here in NJ anymore. You have to be skilled and equipped to repair and sell all kinds of small 2 and 4-stroke equipment in addition to mopeds. Back in the late '70's and early '80's you could make a living out of selling and servicing only mopeds, but those days are long gone.

well to be truthfull it doesnt sound like a huge loss,it sounds like he didnt know what he was doing and offered no help

MoPedLar,

I don't make any money with my moped business--I do it so we have people in our area to ride with. If I didn't

have my small business there wouldn't be any mopeds within a 75 mile radius. I have a total investment of about $30,000 in mopeds and parts. At this point I can afford to operate mostly as a hobby (with my job, State of Florida Retirement, investments etc. I don't have to depend on revenue generated by the business). In about 4 years I intend to retire and draw retirement from the State of Georgia as well as my social security. After retirement I plan to do general small engine repair as well as work on Rotax engines used in ultralight aircraft. I don't think a person could make a living in Georgia with a moped shop. You gotta do it because you enjoy it!!!

Bryan

Matthew Westberg /

I dunno, up here Mr. Moped is doing CRAZY amounts of business... apparently Tomos Canada even wanted to buy some bikes BACK from him to ship to other dealers. He sells those damned pocket bikes and non-legal stand-up scooters too, but he definitely puts more mopeds out the door than he does anything else.

On the downside, he doesn't do vintage peds at all (haha, even I know more than he does) but seeing as how scarce they are up here, that doesn't really matter to him much.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account