Someone's gotta know......

I have a 2004 Tomos Targa LX and it has the auto-mix oil injection. I’m thinking of getting a Tecno Extoil exhaust and an Airsal 70cc kit. I’m still breaking in my moped, it only has 100 miles on it, but I’m worried about fuel delivery to the new parts. I know oil pumps fail, but i’m not worried about that just yet. I know that if an engine runs rich with gas then it can seize up because it’s notgeting the proper lubrication.

A 70cc with an exhaust will use more gas because of the size and the fact that there is less restriction on the parts. Should I update the carburator, get a bigger fuel jet, or put some sort of oil-stabilizer in with the mix oil to ensure the longevity of these parts.

For breaking my new bike in i barely use full throttle and keep it at a steady 25mph when cruising. I plan on doing the same for the new parts. But what should I do?

Re: Someone's gotta know......

Perry Manessis /

Definitely switch to premix, as the oil pump is set for the stock motor, pipe, carb. and jet size. Also, the Tomos oil injection is known for failing.

Danny,

Get a Raptor kit. I got mine from Ike's Bikes.

http://ikesbikes.com/

Rob

1113281966_000_raptora35.jpg

Don Pflueger /

when adding any performance parts or modifying anything you must upjet and do plug chops. you would also be wise to remove the oil injection since it only pumps at 50:1 and it is desugned to work with the stock bore. but since your increasing volumes all across the board, you should increase your oil as well and run a 40:1 pre mix.

I just want to say, i've kited a few ped's and have left the oil injector in tact and have had zero problems. It mixes a bit on the heavy side so i feel it should be ok.

I've talked to the Tomos and speed kit part's distributors all of which say you can leave the oil pump alone as in you don't have to disconnect it.

donp i always respect what you have to say.what do you think? any one else?

yeah, my basic contention is to leave the oil pump as is... Doesnt the new reed-valve determind how much oil is let into the crank? Cant I just adjust the flow?

Don Pflueger /

i say you need to remove it and pre mix. they are factory set at 50:1 which is a very lean ratiu. thats why i said in my last post to premix at 40:1.

Don Pflueger /

all a reed valve is is a one way valve that allows fuel in, but closes off the port during the compression stroke to prevent fuel from being blown back out thru the carb.

this wont create a ping or excessive carbon build-up with the excess oil will it? Cant I just add like Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the mix oil?? This way it'll coat a lot better.

Don Pflueger /

your still not gonna have the volume

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account