rollin' on sixteens w/ whitewalls

Im working on a project puch that I am planning on putting white wall tires on. I know that sava makes whitewall tires in 16" but not 17". I was wondering if puch made 16" wheels so I can put the white-walls on them. I thought I could use a sachs front wheel but for the rear I didnt know because of the pedal chain that puchs require. Also if this doesnt work does anyone know a company that makes 17" white walls?

Re: rollin' on sixteens w/ whitewalls

Chris Sorensen /

I'm looking into the same thing. I don't think the fenders would look right with 16's as there would be a 1/2" difference in the gap between the fender and tire. I haven't found any whitewall 17's, but here's something interesting that i just found last night:

"do it yourself whitewalls": http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

My Newport had whitwalls on it when I first got it....but the were so rotted out I had to replace them. They were awesome while they lasted!!

i am almost certain the puch korado had 16 inch rims, if not the korado i know there was a puch with 16 inch rims. i think the LS 2 speed model had 16 inch rims as well,

another thing,

if you were to mod some other brand of rims to fit, like a Sachs, your best bet may be to use a set of tomos rims, you could put 16inch rims on, a smaller rear sprocket than puch aloows, and would probably only have to do a little machining to fit the rear on perfect, its been done before, search the performance section i remember reading a post about it awhile back

Re: I have a 16" rim

I have a 16" Chrome spoked Puch front rim if anyone needs one... no rear though... When I got my Newport it was on there and the odd thing was it was a perfect match with the rear one which was a 17" (they have the faint checked design on the sides). I have a new set of matching 17" ones now so I don't need it.

xCHRISx I sent you an email.. if you have a new or used set of switches for my 1980 Magnum MK II please let me know and I'll buy them from you!

Re: I have a 16" rim

I know motobecane 7's used 16" wheels, and you could probably use those.

That's brilliant and I'd love to hear how well it works if someone tries it.

just a side note on those Savas. they are shit. The rubber they use in the whitewalls is a different formulation. I had a set and they went bald in no time. I would just buy a good set of 17's and try the doityerself method.

I love that the guy is from Iceland. Fucking awesome country, go there. $20 is cheap too. I have read old hot rod magazines about tires mods. One guy made a tire lathe that shaved all lettering from the tire, then had an attachment that applied even stripes of color. red lines were popular also.

Angus

Brian Mikami /

That WW paint looks real good. I have to deal with strict and expensive haz-mat issues when I order paints from my mainland supplier for my touch up biz. I wonder how he can get paint shipped from that country?

its in Icelandic. the can doesn't say it contains paint

Get a set of 16 inch rims and have them laced up to Puch hubs if you want whitewalls that bad?

Ike

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account