OT/ How do I turn off Delayed Dome lights?

Guys,

I know this is Off Topic... Way off topic! :o) I just figured that maybe somebody here would know the answer to this question.

I have a chevy s-10 with one of those stupid delayed dome courtesy lights. I would rather that when I close the doors, that the light goes out immediately rather than a few seconds later. How do I turn off this feature?

Many thanks,

EK

Re: OT/ How do I turn off Delayed Dome lights?

Courtis Fuller /

Those things piss me off, lol. In a Chevy Venture van you can not turn your head lights off ever at night unless you turn the car off.

Maybe there is a fuse that you could remove?

Ben,

Yeah, it really gets to me too. Sometimes, I'm not sure if the light is going to turn off and I end up waiting and watching, since I use the dome light a lot. Ehh.

I'm not sure about that fuse. I've done a lot of searching without luck on the internet about this.

But there was a mention on one of the websites (for those that WANTED the opposite-) And apparently, those that want the dome light to be delayed add some kind of reisistor and capacitor to the wiring in the immediate area of where the light switch is- the one that turns the light off when you shut the door.

That website explained that when you open the door, it charges the tiny capacitor-- and when you close the door, thus cutting off the power, apparently, the capacitor takes over and keeps that light lit for the length of time that capacitor is capable of. (In other words, keeps the light on for another 10-15 seconds until it runs out of energy.)

With that logic, I'd think I'd have to remove that capacitor, if there is one.

If I get lucky and find out how bypass that danged delay thingy, I'll be sure to post that here. :o)

EK

Ben,

P.S. I would think that your problem is related to a sensor? It sees the darkness and forces it to turn on?

I remember having a car like that and there was a trick to get it to turn off. I'm trying to remember how to do that. Something to do with shifting... I think if you put the car in neutral with your foot on the brake and off the gas, you can switch the headlight on then off. I think it'll turn that light off even at night. If that's not it, it's something very close to that. Wish I could remember...

EK

Don Pflueger /

you'll have to get a service manual to find the circuit that controls the light. i'm sure it would be near the head light switch or fuse panel. that or on the passenger side near the computer.

Courtis Fuller /

I will try that, Thanks. If you click the parking break on one notch it disables it, that what I mostly do.

there is a button you can push over by where your lights are lower left I believe

Hi Ben,

That was it. :o) Yeah, the parking brake. It's been such a long time since I had a car with that feature. :o)

EK

Ryan,

Thanks, I'll check that out. :o) I'm not sure if that button exists on my truck, though. It's a 1997. Based to my research, that dome override button is only available on a 1998 and on truck. I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks,

EK :o)

Don P.,

Thank you for your response. :o) I appreciate it. I'll have to buy a service manual for the truck.

I got such a sweet deal on that truck. ($1,800 from my 84 year old grandfather) and the truck itself is in near mint condition, and worth at least $3,500-$4,500 at a dealership.

This truck has an extended cab as well as a beautiful customized cap. (The truck's an Xtreme model)

EK

Don Pflueger /

thats cool. sounds like my caravan i bought. 2002 with 7000 miles on it for $275.00

the guy died and the family didnt want anything to do with the van. i snagged it asap.

Don,

Wow, that's an even sweeter deal! :o)

EK

Don Pflueger /

yep. i grabbed it the second i heard about it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account