It's freezing

Ben Proctor /

does air temperature affect a moped's performance? it's cold here in Massachusetts right now, and my ped only runs well when the airbox is off, almost as if it's not getting enough air. But during the summer it's fine. Hm......

Re: It's freezing

Cold air is more dense and lacking moisture. Most people don't run theirs in the cold. Mine's going to get put up in 2 weeks. In all actuality it'd be better to run you ped in desert air then winter air. LOL

Um I always thought cold air is better because you can get more air in the clinders when its cold, thats why you can buy cold air inductors for cars. Are mopeds different?

cool air is great for mopeds if it can help cool the cylinder and help you get more rpms. but ... if it's too cold, then you have problems. the heat generated by the engine can cause condensation in the carburetor and it's also really rough on the engine to start up from subzero temps.

keep in mind that cars have electric starters, whereas mopeds have to generate their own power from zilch when you pedal start them. so i think if the weather is too cold, then you have problems (but depends on the place, i guess).

Simon King /

My Motobecane has a real love/hate relationship with the cold. It starts so hard I nearly wreck myself trying, often giving up. When I finally get it though, it runs like a banshee. I was pushing 40 the other day (sure, it might of been a slight hill) with my scarf wrapped around my head as tight as I could.

choke's stroke?

Sounds like the choke plunger maybe is not pulling fully?I have been looking at that carb.(probably that carb)recently,and I must say I like the look of the common Dellorto choke much better.For starting dependability that is.The Motobecane's is more versatile if you're having carb problems,I'm sure.

Ron Brown /

Ben,

I have to confess that I ignored this post when I first saw it because it did not make sense to me. In theory, colder engines like a richer mixture which means that any restriction caused by the air cleaner should help cold weather running, not hurt it.

After following the othr posts to this thread I can't stand it anymore and have to throw in my two cents worth. : )

First, are you sure that this problem is caused by cold weather? Have you experienced good days (warm weather) and bad days (cold weather), enough times to convince you that the problem is really air temperature related?

If so, have you tried running with the air box but without the air cleaner? Sometimes the air flow at the intake will cause mixture problems when the ped is moving if you remove the air box which often is designed to draw air from a "calm" air area on the ped.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Simon,

You should not be having significant starting problems just because it is cold out, at least at reasonable temps, maybe down to just below freezing. I'll try mine next time we have a cold morning and let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, make sure your plug is in good shape and gapped correctly, that your gas/oil mix is not too heavy on oil and most important (I say this because I see the problem on my 4 cycle motorcycle), allways try to run the ped out of gas when you park it overnight (turn the gas off a block or so from home). If the ped has not been run for a few days, try to get fresh gas into the carb. I don't know why the gas in the carb is so much worse than that in the tank, I just know it is not as volatile. Maybe it is a result of being heated by the engine as it cools down, causing the more volatile components to evaporate from the gas. The other, more obvious problem with a 2 cycle is that as the gas in the carb evaporates, the oil does not. This leaves you with a very oily mix to try to start on.

Ron

You know,Miguel,I've been thinking I might try to rig a duct from the exhaust or engine to direct some warm air upwards toward my carb,or maybe even a little around my legs.Don't know if it's feasible though.Probably should ask Ree or Wayne`the Gadget Man' Broderick.It gets cold here in Ohio,but not as bad as Mich.or NY or anywhere north.So far my frozen flesh limit has been about 37 degrees,but I'm gonna get some better clothes like Rog did,I think.

Well,Ben Proctor? Are you gonna tell us what the problem was?We hate to be left hangin'.Or have you solved it yet?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account