timing / all around piece of crap issue

Jon Dalton /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

In trying to get my Torrot moped running, the only thing i can think of that's wrong with it is the timing. It has a very limited range outside of which it will get no spark, but you can also rotate the ignition assembly underneath the flywheel. Even still, whenever i get it to run it runs bad wherever the timing is. It vibrates like crazy, has no power and won't rev past about 2000 rpm. Changing the timing seems to make it either better or worse sometimes, but never to the point of driveability. I did have it running sort of half decent at one point, where you could drive it and get up to 25 or so, but it still had no power. There are no timing marks, so I have to make my own by finding the right setting in degrees before top dead centre. The carburetor is clean, spark plug is new, spark is good when it does spark, and compression is good enough that it blows my finger off the spark plug hole when i'm pushing it as hard as i can. The engine behaves as if the intake and exhaust are clogged, but they're perfectly clean. The jet is a 60.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account