timing / all around piece of crap issue

Jon Dalton /

In trying to get my Torrot moped running, the only thing i can think of that's wrong with it is the timing. It has a very limited range outside of which it will get no spark, but you can also rotate the ignition assembly underneath the flywheel. Even still, whenever i get it to run it runs bad wherever the timing is. It vibrates like crazy, has no power and won't rev past about 2000 rpm. Changing the timing seems to make it either better or worse sometimes, but never to the point of driveability. I did have it running sort of half decent at one point, where you could drive it and get up to 25 or so, but it still had no power. There are no timing marks, so I have to make my own by finding the right setting in degrees before top dead centre. The carburetor is clean, spark plug is new, spark is good when it does spark, and compression is good enough that it blows my finger off the spark plug hole when i'm pushing it as hard as i can. The engine behaves as if the intake and exhaust are clogged, but they're perfectly clean. The jet is a 60.

Re: timing / all around piece of crap issue

Ron Brown /

Jon,

> It has a very limited range outside of which it will get no spark,

What does this mean, it sounds like it could be a clue.

Btw, if you set the timing according to spec, and have a good fat spark, it is usually time to look elsewhere for the problem.

Ron

I had an MGB that acted like the exhaust was plugged up and it turned out to be a bad condenser, I dont know if your moped even has one, I'm guessing it does but they are usually a cheap item to replace

good luck

Jon Dalton /

If I adjust the points too far advanced, it doesn't spark at all, and if i set them too far retarded, it doesn't spark at all, even though the points are opening and closing. It seems like it's picky about the position of the flywheel magnets when the points open, which obviously does matter. I guessed that's why they put the whole ignition on an adjustable plate underneath the flywheel. There aren't any timing marks, so I made my own and tried to guess it from where the timing marks are on my honda. I don't know the right timing as this is a rare moped, i'm just guessing somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees

Jon Dalton /

That's something I definitely wouldn't have thought of. This moped has 2 condensers, one outside the engine and one inside. Did you just change the condenser and it worked, or did the points need attention?

Have you cleaned the points like it says in my guide?

Do it... before you waste any more time.

Umm actually where I got it from the guy said the whole batch of condensers were bad , he called me to let me know just before I planned on ripping the mufflers off

to check , so I put an older one on that I had and it ran fine

Jon Dalton /

that's the first thing i tried. That, along with a lot of fiddling with the timing, is what got me from no spark to a spark. I'm no stranger to 'how to fix your moped', i've read it many times and learned a lot from it.

Ron Brown /

Jon,

My previous question was to try to undertstand the difference between "changing the timing" which killed the spark and "rotating the points plate" which changes the timing.

Let me describe what I think you are doing and if I am wrong, ignore the rest of this post.

I am assuming that your points cam is part of that flywheel and that it is not keyed to the crank shaft, consequently, you can set the timing anywhere you want, even so far off that the magnets are mis-aligned causing no spark and a timing mark on the flywheel would be about as usefull as tits on a bull..

Assuming this is true, first rotate the points plate to the center of it's travel, then set the points gap, then rotate the engine to 1 - 1.5mm before top dead center. Install the flywheel so that the points are just opening. Re-check the timing and use the points plate adjustment to get the points to open at 1 - 1.5mm btdc.

Now, if you have a good fat spark and your ped still does not run, look for a problem other than ignition.

If you suspect your condensor, you only have one and it is connected from the coil side of the points to ground. If you read it with a vom on the highest resistance range, it should kick slightly if you reverse the lead polarity then settle to completely open. If you want to substitute another condensor as a test, you can use almost any lwan mower or motorcycle condensor. Disconnect the old one and connect the test cap between the points terminal on the coil and engine ground, this will avoid finding space under the flywheel.

Ron

Bump

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account