better gas

will a moped run any better if you put better gas in it. from my understanding there's two different deffinitions of "better" gas. theres better as in supreme compared to regular. and better as in chevron compared to 7eleven gas. so will either of these types of better gas help boost performance.

Re: better gas

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I use the cheapest. Jim.

is it ok if you mix oil with supreme gas rather than the regular

if pre-mix is required, you must mix oil with any gas you use. If you have an oil injection system, it will mix itself. Jim.

I've found that taking a gallon of any kind of 91 octane and removing 8 oz. of it then replacing that with toluene gives my bike the pep I require of it. It pulls like a train and tops out about 3 mph faster. Plus it's not as shaky. I've been doing this for 5,000 miles now and haven't noticed any bad effects,only that when I'm on the road and don't have any toluene to add, theride home , the bike is not as happy.

Jonas Quimby /

The higher octane levels in more expensive gas are very very little use to a moped. They're mostly for high compression, high performance, advanced ignition engines that would start to "ping" without it.

However some of the more expensive gas that comes with certain additives may help to clean out old sludge or just peppy up the bike.

So you need to try some and see what you get, really.

can you put gas treatment in your tank like you can your car?

no, if you need anything cleaned,take it apart and clean it by hand.

Just gas and oil and you can't go wrong

3oz oil to one gallon of gas

My Chemistry professor was just talking about this. Where do you get toluine?

You might get a real big bang if you added a little nitro like thr drag racers do. Jim.

Gasoline is gasoline. Do not be taken in by the ads from the big gas companies. The only difference is in the octane rating. The only reason to use a high octane gas is if your engine is pinging. Most unmodified mopeds will not require the high octane gas. The stuff they put in gas to raise the octane rating actually slows down the explosion in the combustion chamber so a higher octane gas might actually result in lower power ratings in a standard engine.

Run the cheapest stuff you can. Gas is now over $2.50/gal out here in California.

heh... yeah are you nuts! i might lose a toe!

Vimy Ridgeway /

89 cents a litre in Toronto yesterday, down to 85 by last night.

There ARE differences in gasolines

Not just in octane,which can be raised cheaply by a company blending in ethanol, but the MAIN difference is in the ADDITIVES that are IN the better name brands,and are not present in the cheaper brands of gas.

Example: Marathon Oil has a very high grade additive and other additives to keep your fuel system clean(it even hasa STORAGE additive to help keep stored gas fresh longer.

I imagine Shell and Texaco and BP have nearly as good an additive package as Marathon?

I drove for Marathon Oil and their quality control is outstanding. I use it or another name brand gas at every opportunity. I shy away from the discount gas stations(even Marathon's Speedway and Starvin' Marvin is lower quality than say BP or Shell.

I hardly ever suffer carb. problems because I use high gradxe gas and a paper pleated,inlinefuel filter you can see thru. My 2 cents. don-ohio (:^D

Don't be fooled. Berryman's and STP . and most of those octane boost/ fuel treatment stuff is just the toluene mixed with a little acetone and ethanol. The beauty part of the toluene is that it is miscible with ethanol, serving as a catalyst for making your gasohol behave like real gasoline.Plus if you buy it in a paint store you can get it for $6-7 a gallon. which is about what you'd pay for a pint of anything off the shelf at an automotive place.Very close to toluene is Xylene, which is also used in carb cleaner and some solvents, but which Home Depot actually sells, for $1-2 more per gallon.Toluene is a little harder to find since a lot of losers make methamphetamine with it, but it has the best bang for buck in combustion. All I know is that my Sprint hasn't stumbled for 5,000 miles since I started adding it.Plus the other gains in power and acceleration and speed.IT makes el cheapo pump gas smell like the real deal. So far I've been trying some skunky yellow Exxon stuff, but with my ratio I haven't seen any drops in performance

As per research, you can get this stuff at a Sherwin-Williams paint store for $5.00 per gallon.

EK

Bryanofmyrons or anyone that knows the answer,

Would adding Toulene once be sufficent enough to clean out the cylinder and the combustion chamber?

And would you know if the quality of the engine running be less than what it was before Toulene was put in the gas- after you have decided to stop using Toulene?

EK

Re: better gas - what's the mix ratio?

Okay... I want to give this struff a try... but I'm math challenged when it comes to figurin out mixture ratios..

Simply put.. how much should I add to 1 gallon of gas??

Easy. you just take out 8 oz. of gas from the full gallon you bought.Dump that in a spare jug. After a while That spare jug will have enough gas in it to make a "free" gallon besides. I use a Ratio Rite cup, so at this point you can throw in your oil at your usual mix ratio.Add the oil to the mix jug before adding the toluene. The 8 oz. of toluene goes in the mix jug, bringing the total back up to one full gallon.

As far as side effects: It's been over 5,000 miles since I started doing this, and all my rubber parts are holding up. The seals must be doing OK bacuse I still have killer compression when I go to start it. Adding it seems to have slightly lessened carbon buildup. from what I noticed the last time I did any scraping.the deposits were gooey rather than baked-on. From what I can tell about running non-doctored gas, takeoff, acceleration and loads are noticeably worse, altough probably OK if you are just a casual rider.But when my bike is my car, it's like I can close my eyes and feel the changes. But concerning how much toluene to add,according to the article by the guy with the Audi, Formula 1 teams used to run 85% toluene blended with ethanol or gasoline, as the straight stuff won't give a quality burn on its own,and the teams found no further gains by going that far. SO I'd say go wild and mix as much as you want, as long as there's _some_ conventional fuel, and as long as your totals amount to correct oil mix ratios.

Another neat thing about toluene, is you never hear about "Big Toluene", it's Made in the USA, but about every country in the world is capable of producing it.The price doesn't fluctuate. And you never hear stories of anti-war protesters shouting "no blood for toluene"

Reuben Mahaffy /

One word of caution about toluene:

It has been found experimentally to be a fairly substantial teratogen -- ie. mutanogenic to a developing fetus. Thus pregnant women should avoid handling/inhalation of it.

Other than that, it sounds like a good additive, I think i'll try it myself.

Most of the pregnant hillbilly women that move to the cities have been huffing toluene for years.. Look at some of the old COPS episodes

Reuben Mahaffy /

actually, most of the world's toluene is made from Naphthas, derived from petroleum distillation. So well-informed protestors could in fact shout "no blood for toluene"

doesn't have quite the same ring to it though...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account