So lets get this straight

because of the fact that I got a DWI, (driving while impaired), I should not be allowed to drive anything? Is that the contention of the majority? You have to license a moped in NJ? I dont even have to pay taxes on it here or register it, in fact it can't be licensed here.,, Well news flash almost anyone can get a permit to drive their car to work and back, do I at least deserve this? yeah/neah? I bought the scooter to get groceries, visit my 80 year old parents and have some general freedom, should I be restricted to my inline skates, cause when I wrecked my Honda (and got the dwi) and broke my leg in half a dozen places I also lessoned the capacity of my left leg and hey what the heck, court costs, lawyer fees and Insurance for the next 3 years will only be 5 or 6 extra thousand dollars do I deserve all this? Yes I deserve to be punished, But any lawyer ,especially in NJ will tell you the DWI laws are a racket to get the state money. So?

Re: So lets get this straight

Guy, am I hearing you right? What your saying is you shouldnt be punished for DWI? How fucking dumb are you that you have to drive when you drink? Why can't you take a taxi or get a ride? The law states that you do not drive while Impaired, is that so hard to comprehend? One day you'll get busted because obviously you are going to repeat offend. Maybe you'll kill a child and have to goto jail for life then when your being screwed by a butt pirate, you'll look back at this post and say to yourself "I'm an Idiot"

amen

good show George (Amen) at least you used a name, oh mr police I believe if you read the last sentence you will see that I said Yes I should be punished,,,, 1 dwi in 27 years of driving (no accident other than my bike and me which I have to pay for) shouldnt cost me what it does follow the bouncing ball here kids a Brand NEW Scooter 1800 dollars is less than what it will cost me for insurance (which the state doesnt get) for 1 year,,,, it is a racket is the point, I could come up and beat the shit out of your wife, but if the cop doesnt show up in court, it is dismissed, but not a dwi they make too much money off of it.

You could have killed my family

B Perkins /

or myself because of an extremely poor CHOICE to drink and drive. I have no respect for irresponsible behavior.

dwi= driving while intoxicated, right? that means drunk driving, right? isn't that the largest cause for traffic fatalities in the us? i've known people who died ... and some who were stupid enough to do the killing in those situations. so don't come to me (or most people i know) for sympathy.

if you want to bitch and complain about your dwi (or dui in some states), then it proves you have not learned the lesson. your leg injury is minor compared to what you could've done. you could've killed someone.

i don't care who thinks dwi/dui tickets are racket. people should not drive after drinking. the fact that you were in rather serious accident only highlights the point.

driving is not a constitutionally guaranteed right. it's a priviledge. you are operating a vehicle that weighs several tons, uses combustable materials, and travels at a high velocity. just because you are 16+ does not give you the right to drive anywhere you want. you lost that priviledge for a while. deal w/ it.

people who think they should be allowed to ride mopeds because of dui/dwi situations are ridiculous. ask anyone who rides a two-wheeler. they are more dangerous in traffic than cars. if you are hit, you will be seriously wrecked (if not killed). they require balance and full awareness of your environment (which is lackign if you are intoxicated).

sorry to rank ... actually, no i'm not sorry ... if you want to drink, that's fine. you're an adult and can make choices. one of those, is to NOT DRIVE DRUNK. you do it, and i have no sympathy for you. as i've stated before in similar situations, i will do ANYTHING to prevent someone from driving drunk. i'll slash your tires if you won't give me your keys.

so don't come cying to me.

SteelToad /

Unless they changed the penalty's for your specific case, I really dont see what

you are complaining about. The laws were obviously in effect before your

"accident", so you shouldn't be at all surprised. If you shot someone with a

machine gun, would you later expect to be allowed to use a handgun ???

Hi All, Here in Va its also a racket, sometimes they will issue a work permit, but even to ride a moped you have to get permission from the judge. I got caught, no injurys, not a wreck, just a rookie cop making points! The quesion came up in drunk class about DUI being the highest accident, BUT NO the CELL PHONE was! By the time you pay insurance for 40 mts, be ristricted on driving, paying the fines, lawyer and such..... A PERSON HAS PAID DEARLEY!! Without all the rest of the bull shit! (excuse my choice of words) Doug in this Commonwealth.

yep, barb. people seem to focus more on drunk driving as a hassle to the loss of their priviledges.

oh, sorry, you killed two of my friends because you drove after drinking (when almost any bar will get you a cab for free), but now you lost your license for a while. oh, i'm so sorry for you. it's such a shame ... yada yada yada.

Logic and Reason

Reeperette /

Mig sayeth >>(when almost any bar will get you a cab for free)<<

And this is true....I should know.

I am the driver who collects you, makes sure you get home, if necessary helping you to the very door and making sure someone else is home to take care of you and make sure you don't hurt yourself or do something stupid.

And if no one's home, hey, I'll take ya somewhere else if you know a friend who might be home.

And unlike any other cabbie in this city, my meter is OFF when imma doin that.

I don't bitch about doin it, and if you happen to puke on my backseat I don't much care, cause the company pays half every time I have the cab cleaned anyway.

I won't lecture ya neither....I figure yer hangover is gonna be far more of a lesson than any dumbass lecture from me.

For me it ain't just a PR stunt on holidays, like it is with the company - it's a matter of giving folks a way out of doing something insanely stupid and dangerous (although my roomie puts riding a moped in the same category, go figure).

You did do it, and the price has come down, sure....but have you learned the lesson, is the question....that's what the penalties are for, to ensure beyond doubt that such a lesson gets through to you, and to make it so painful, so expensive....that it will not have to be repeated.

I understand your position Rog, especially since you paid the price medically and physically as well as financially....but if we were to loophole the laws in place for such things, it would just open them to exploitation by those who continually abuse them, and you have to see where that would be detrimental.

And so you pay...not just for your own doings, but the doings of every drunken driver who's caused a disaster in their time, something one should take a lesson from before they consider drinking anyhow.

Sure it sucks, but it's the way things have to be, tis a matter of social survival, and preventing wholly-avoidable tragedy.

And if ya think some of the folks here came down a bit hard...go ask an EMT what they think.....

-Ree

I had an older friend in the 80's who had nine oui's and still got his license back.

It was 'cool' to drive drunk in the 80's, I guess, because people didn't get in much trouble for it.

I had one friend who killed another of my friends in a DWI accident. The guy who was driving is a basket case, having killed his best friend. Not to mention the legal stuff.

The judge actually went light on the sentence, because it was clear nothing would be as bad as killing your best friend.

I got a DWI on my 1978 honda express. I had one beer, and they said I was smoking pot. I lost my license for 18 months. No conviction, and I had to go to the overnight drunk-class, for a whole weekend with people who had real drinking problems.

in portland, maine, I've seen people get written up for DWI on a 10-speed.

Rich King /

Look Dude, I work in the liquor industry: bouncer in a rock&roll hillbillie/biker dive. Yes, I've seen your case 100 times over. You messed up big time: pain,injury and loss of your money (that you'd have literally pissed away in my place if you hadn't been caught). My question is did you learn a lesson? Answer, from my perspective (analysis your replies),is "f" no; just "b"ing re fines, and "attorney racket" and loss of privilages to drive. Do something positive, tell people not to drink and drive, believe it, practice what you preach (not the stuff your bar buddies will agree with either re attorney racket money, other state laws, etc. and the "bs" re visiting your 80 yr old mother-- "who got run over by a train, on the day she got let out of prison because you got drink and wrecked your pickup truck on the way to the station to meet her in the pouring rain."). Look just admit, up against the wall Redneck.You "f"ed up big time. Accept it, you are a "f"up, but you can change, if you really want to change your life and work toward doing something productive. It isn't going to be easy. Taking "s" from the Moped Army is easy compared to what you are going to have to do to reform/reinvent yourself. Oh yeah, David Allen Coe and the late Steve Goodman wrote that one about 25 yrs ago just for you. Ol Rich

Hey jerk!

Andrew Spoering /

As a moped owner you should be more aware than any one of the dangers of driving drunk. I ride in a very populated urban area (downtown denver) with a large number of bars, and my worst fear is some drunk asshole plowing over me while I'm on my moped. I also know better than to ride my moped drunk. While riding you had better be very aware of what's going on around you. A car has a good 2000lbs. on you.

Of course you deserve a punishment, and a large punishment, for doing what you did. And DUI punishments and fees are NOT to make money for the state. They are to keep morons off the road. It takes a stiff punishment to get it through to anyone who is dumb enough to drive drunk.

The laws in New jersey are very clear, (and some would say unfair). You are not loosing your License. You are loosing your priviledge to opperate a motorvehicle . Period. The only exception to this is when you are opperating it on your own private property. I have a friend who had also lost his Privildgeges some years back and a few months later was stopped by the police ( Hew was not on good terms with the local police ) and given a summons for opperating a ride on lawn mower on his own property. In court he tried to fight it but the police had stopped him while he was mowing the strip of grass right next to the road and in NJ the first 10 feet of curbside property belongs to the town. Long story short. He spent the next 6 months in county jail for it. plus surcharges, plus extended the time before he could get his license back. Rog wrote:

>

>

> because of the fact that I got a DWI, (driving while

> impaired), I should not be allowed to drive anything? Is that

> the contention of the majority? You have to license a moped

> in NJ? I dont even have to pay taxes on it here or register

> it, in fact it can't be licensed here.,, Well news flash

> almost anyone can get a permit to drive their car to work

> and back, do I at least deserve this? yeah/neah? I bought the

> scooter to get groceries, visit my 80 year old parents and

> have some general freedom, should I be restricted to my

> inline skates, cause when I wrecked my Honda (and got the

> dwi) and broke my leg in half a dozen places I also lessoned

> the capacity of my left leg and hey what the heck, court

> costs, lawyer fees and Insurance for the next 3 years will

> only be 5 or 6 extra thousand dollars do I deserve all this?

> Yes I deserve to be punished, But any lawyer ,especially in

> NJ will tell you the DWI laws are a racket to get the state

> money. So?

Rog,this may not go over too well with some people,but I am in favor of your being able to drive to work on a special permit and ride a moped or scoot as long as it's your FIRST OFFENSE.The law considers you innocent until proven guilty and makes allowance for first offenders to provide for their families in that case.I understand how a person can blow over the limit,especially at what,.08 on a `not too trustworthy' breathalizer.I've never been DWI before,and hope to never be,but first offenses are forgivable to an extent if you inadvertently exceed their questionable limits.But if you repeat the problem,I have no sympathy for you.I know from experience if you worked in the Nuclear industry that it didn't go easily on you with D.O.E. or D.O.D.!Really, if the government is going to make millions on alcohol taxation,they could surely help find a way to help some people know their content before they get behind the wheel.My goodness! Think of the ambiguity involved if it's a 100 lb.adult female.Just a martini could put her close and then say the machine is off a little.Or say she orders a normal martini and the bartender wants to be generous toward her and gives her extra alcohol?AND DON'T say that doesn't happen.Would that be her fault if she drank it,left the bar immediately before the effects,and then while driving home a policeman sees a little weaving going on?(I don't think so,unless we are going to say don't drink at all).Just my take on the first offender deal.

Um its called (DWI) Driving While Intoxicated, idiot

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account