Plug fouling at idle.

Hi,everybody! I would like some input on a problem I just developed.The bike runs great at anything over an idle on the road.BUT,when my Franco-Morini idles for more than a couple of minutes,it fouls the plug so bad it won't accelerate but dies.I then have had to replace the plug and take care not to idle it.Of course I could clean the plug probably.I have some ideas about this and I'd appreciate some criticism on them.(1) Too high float level? (2) I had to mix different brands(not castor) 2-stroke oil the other day.Could that be it?(3)The `ped has kinda' low compression,but runs an easy 30mph with a 270lb. payload.I'm leaning toward draining the gas,but I'd really appreciate you guys' thoughts.THANKS!

Re: Plug fouling at idle.

i know this sounds dumb, but did you try adjusting the idle? would that do anything?

that just sounds like a weird problem. but mopeds are weird, i guess. my headlight goes out when i'm not sitting on the seat (standing up, it goes out). go figure.

Hey Don, all of the above...HA! Could have stuck rings, or a cracked ring too, since compression is low. Doug

Hi Don-Ohio

I'm wondering about the choke on your moped, whether it is manual,automatic, stuck somehow? Could you be getting thick mixture on idle causing fouling, only to blow all the crap out of the cylinder head and get good scavenging at full speed? Because the choke won't operate smoothly? Just an idea, good luck. Rick

Hi Don Ohio

Have you checked out the choke? Just an idea. Do you have a manual choke?. If your choke is sticking at idle, you'll get,after a time, gunky air/gas flow to foul spark plugs.

At high speed, even if your choke is stuck "on", you'll have good scavenging and won't leave residue on the spark plugs. My idea would be to start it with the choke, and then knock it (the choke) out of action, run it at all different speeds, do the same again and see if there's a pattern.

Good luck, Rick.

Thanks,to Miguel,Doug,and Rick.And any others that care to take a shot at it.I'll check out what you guys said........So,Miguel,if you wanna do some stealth cruisin' at night,you just stand up and you're in automatic reconnaissance mode.I'll bet Wayne's green with envy! Again,congrats on your Vespa Grande!Picking it up today?

Ron Brown /

Don,

You say this problem just developed so don't do anything too drastic at first.

Try new gas just in case and because it is the easiest to do. If the problem persists, make sure you have a good fat spark. If your float is stuck, it should leak gas standing still and not running. Make sure the air filter is clean and not too oily. If the idle seems to be slower than it was, speed it up again.

Good luck.

Ron

Thanks,Ron! I'll start by draining the gas tonight.I don't get home `til 7:30 p.m..Then I'll do as you say along with what the other guys mentioned.It's funny sometimes how I can try to help others and then when it happens to me I get `brain cramp' or something.

Ron Brown /

Don,

I know the feeling. I find it is often easier to solve a problem if I explain it in great detail to someone else, even if they have no idea what I am talking about.

Of course, you use up friends at a hell of a rate. : )

Ron

You mean they don't appreciate being a `sounding board'? Where did that term come from anyway?`Sounding Board'.That wouldn't be the rod the riverboat crew used to check the water depth I don't suppose?But I digress.I'll look it up,maybe. (8^)

dunno don... but you sound pretty bored

DOH!

You got THAT right,Fred! My job today is running itself and I'm just observing.BOOORRRIINNGGG !! By the boring way,I looked it up and it's a structure behind a pulpit or speaking podium to enhance the resonance of speech.So much for my Mark Twain education!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account