Vespa Grande Wiring Diagram

XBrandon EdgeX /

Just as I get the taillight fiasco dealt with, I find a new problem. The wires for the kill switch are cut off at the controls and then they go into a black tube but don't come out on the other end. I just got another wiring harness, but it's a little bit different. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can anyone tell me where the kill switch wires plug in at? (The wire ends opposite the switch, I would assume on the engine somewhere.) I'm just gonna run some new wires for the kill switch. Any and all information is appreciated.

Thank you much,

The Brandon Edge

Re: Vespa Grande Wiring Diagram

brandon:

any info you learn, be sure to keep me posted. i finally got my vespa grande (i pick it up saturday). woohoo! and good luck to you. ;-)

XBrandon EdgeX /

Way to go, Miguel!! How much did you get it for? What kind of condition is it in?

i'll find out the condition sat when i pick it up. it supposedlyruns, and it looks great in the pics. i think the $355 i got it for is a steal (if what i hear about it is true).

XBrandon EdgeX /

Yeah, it sounds nice. Hope it's everything you imagined it would be!

Yeah,Miguel! I saw where you robbed that poor E-bay seller! What a bike!

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

Most kill switches just tie the points side of the coil to ground. Look at the coil terminal for extra wires. If you check with a meter, both wires will seem to be ground if the points are closed and the coil is very low resistance too. So disconect the wire at the coil end to check it.

Ron

XBrandon EdgeX /

There's only one wire other than the spark plug wire coming out of the coil, and it's got a wire nut in the middle of it. It looks like somebody really didn't want that kill switch on there. The wire goes into the ignition system in the engine.

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

If you have points, you can run a wire from that splice to the switch and then to ground.

If you have electronic ignition, the switch may have broken that wire.

Check the kill switch, if it is closed in the stop position it is supposed to ground the coil wire. If it is closed in the reun position then open the splice and connect the ends to the kill switch.

Ron

Re: I got your Wiring Diagram...

right here...

It's for the turn indicator models.

Jim

Re: I got your Wiring Diagram

Right here...

It's for the turn indicator models.

Re: Sorry for the double post!

I got disconnected in the middle of it and it wouldn't resend, so I renamed it.

They are both the same.

Jim

Re: Sorry for the double post!

I got disconnected in the middle of it and it wouldn't resend, so I renamed it.

They are both the same.

Jim

XBrandon EdgeX /

Hmm, the wiring diagram is a little different because my bike is the non-signal version (or the Not-as-Grande-as-others-but-still-pretty-cool). But I think I have the info I need. looks like I just need a switch inline with the coil wire.

Thanks Jim and Ron, which incidentally are two names from a Saturday Night Live sketch ("Captain Jim and Ron").

looks like we might have the same model, brandon. i just picked mine up a few hrs ago. it's not the 'deluxe' model w/ side boxes and turn signals, just the standard. but i like it already.

let me know any tricks you learn (and vice versa). i'll start tinkering w/ it tomorrow (though i've already riden it extensively). i want to at least clean the carb out just in case.

XBrandon EdgeX /

Coolness!! I was riding mine around quite a bit today. How fast does yours go? Mine only does 27 right now, but it's got a tiny, tiny, tinytinytiny exhaust on it. Mine starts four stroking when i go downhills and it hits 30. They use dellorto 12/12 carbs. I was thinking maybe a 14 or 15mm dellorto off of a minarelli might fit, though. I don't have any minarelli bikes sitting around to swap carbs with, though. You've got a couple minarelli bikes, don't you? You should see if it'll work.

Oh, also, when you lift up the seat (it tips forward when you hit a lever on the back of it), there's a vent for the back half of the gas tank. I think that's supposed to be open when you ride or is supposed to be opened and closed occasionally to get air in the back of the tank so it doesn't create a vaccuum and hold gas away from the fuel tank outlet. Just turn it so it's in the middle of being turned in all the way and out all the way.

One more thing. On the back of the left side of the swingarm, there's a button and a small lever. Push the button in to make it pedal like a bike. Flick the lever down to re-engage the drive system.

Have fun!

XBrandon EdgeX

brandon:

thanks! i was wondering why i couldn't pedal. i looked (not too hard, though) for a "bike mode" switch, but found nothing. w/o holding down the decompression lever, the bike wouldn't move forward at all. and when it does, it always starts trying to engage (even after i release the lever). so that info will be good use.

the guy i bought it from told me a bit about that valve.i'm not sure how much he knew ... but he said that after you fill the tank, open that little valve to let the extra air out. maybe i should keep it half in half out? i've been tightening it back in most of the way. i'll fiddle w/ that and see what that does.

i have no idea on speed (though it seems to vary). the speedo cable is broken, so i'll have to get another. it does take a long time to warm up, though. after i rode it for a bit it wouldn't die at idle and also ito would seem to go a bit faster.

after i take the carb off tomorrow, i'll check if another dellorto carb will make a dif. i also have a full set of jets, so i can play w/ that. i don't have an extra carb per se (except for my 14.9) ... but i do have a dellorto 14.14 made specially for the carabela. i can try that out for a bit to see what it does.

i also put in a bosch platinum (of course!) and that seemed to do a bit of good. i also eventually want to fix the kickstand (a bit weak now) and the foot bar (needs a weld). the rest is great. mine even came w/ the toolkit! ;-)

tomorrow i test it on hills ...

Miguel and Brandon,

The vent under the seat is to be opened while filling with fuel so that the air in the back side of the frame can escape. The Grande owner's manual says to open it while refueling and then keep it closed. I open mine every so often anyway and then close it.

Chris

thanks chris! we'll be sure to hit you up for vespa info when needed.

Re: Fuel Filling

What I do is fill the tank with the vent closed, all the way to the top.

I then open the vent and let the fuel level settle. Then you can refill to near the top again, leaving the vent closed.

I never open the vent after filling. Haven't done it in 1600 miles and never had a problem.

I'll try to get the other wiring diagram scanned and posted today.

Jim

Re: I got your Wiring Diagram...

Jake Van Order /

sorry. I needed to bump this.

--jake

HI im from monterrey mexico i have a vespa grande and i will apreciate if some one send me the wiring diagram for the grande thanks ...

I sent you the wiring diagram for a Grande with turn signals. If yours doesn't have signals the diagrams are available here:

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/piaggio/grandeap/grandeap.htm

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account