Tomos Tires

Arterious /

Hey all, i need to remove the tires on my moped and put in new innertubes. I have a few questions. One Is there a way I can get these things off without a special tool? The other question is, is it possible for the tires to get bad of old age without being used. They seem rather hard and I know that the bike has not been used for several years now. They don't have much wear on em either. FYI this ped was NOT taken care of by the previous owners. I got it for free and from the condition it came in it looks like their kids ran it into the ground almost literaly and once they could no longer start it the thing just sat in a garage for years.

Re: Tomos Tires

chuck russo (va) /

it sounds like the tires are dry rotted. are there any small cracks in the rubber?

chuck russo (va) /

what kinda of tomos is it? model and year?

You'd probably be better off getting new tires. The sidewalls may be gone, especially if it was stored with a flat. Look at them and make sure there isn't any checking or cracks. There are special tire irons that you can get, and that 's the easiest way to do it. I used a big redneck-sized screwdriver to remove my old tires, but I really wouldn't recomend that on anything that you'd want to use again.

Arterious /

Its a 92 tomos Bullet TT, from what i've seen its a hard to find tomos model. its more or less identicle to the Targa LX in body design. I just NOW noticed that there are 2 different tires on this thing already. From the looks of the rim on the rear wheel it was the one changed since it has scratches in teh finish from someone useing the big red-neck screwdriver technique hehe.. I used the same thing for my normal bike. The front tread looks like it is fried. the rear tho looks good still, no cracks on it, its still shapped right since it was leaning on the front tire when on the stand. The rear one just seems harder then I would have thought for a moped tire.. I guess I'm dishing out the 60 bucks for 2 new tires and the tire iron to remove em.

chuck russo (va) /

i have a 87 golden bullet lx its exactly like the targa lx , i picked it up from the shop today and it broke down about an hours after i got back when i was breaking the piston and rings in

Ron Brown /

Art,

Bicycle tire levers work fine, I posted some detailed instructions on tire changing a few weeks ago so you may want to search the forum.

If you have aluminum rims, use a piece of leather under the tire lever to protect the rim.

Yes, your tires are old and no, I would not change them. After you rub off the surface you will get most of the grip back and unless you find holes rotted through to the inside, they are unlikely to blow.

Ron

Hey, $60 for 2 tires and 2 tire tools... is that a bit steep? Just bought 2- Chenn-s? (spelling) for $18 each, from the highest people in the state of VA. Ck- www.mopedwarehouse.com and get a quote, they have all types, and compounds, bought some soft compounds for my wife, stick to road good!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account