HELP WITH CHAIN SIZE

Steve Mccui /

I have a Puch 1980 vintage and am having trouble determining the correct motor to back tire drive chain. I know its 12.70 mm pitch which is 1/2 inch. I am assuming that I need to buy metric chain. The catelog I have (mcmaster carr) calls out two sizes in that pitch, one with a roller width 3.18mm and one with a width of 7.75mm (.125, .305). My existing chain appears to have a roller width of around .187.

Any thoughts, Thanks Steve

Re: HELP WITH CHAIN SIZE

I have actual small motorcycle chain (#415) on my sited if needed. One problem with industrial chain suppliers is that the actual width of the roller can be wider or too narrow for your sprockets. They usually will only spec the diameter of the roller and the pitch of the chain.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Another fact sometimes overlooked is that most small motorcycles only go down to 420 size, which rules out being able to go to the nearest "powersports emporium" and picking one up for about 1/2 what a ped shop gets

a new quality chain is $18.00. I have seen some people use heavy duty bmx chain however I have to wonder if it will hold up as well since a bicycle chain usually needs to be replaced every so often due to wear. And do not last nearly as long as a moped would (mileage wise).

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

my local bike shop carries #415 chain as heavy duty bmx chain,

Allen Murphy /

Same here in Milwaukee on the chain--but nobody wants to deal with the BMXer's here.

The little fuckers come in, one of them distracts the salesperson/owner, and three others steal whatever they can and book out the door. It's bad enough that one of the bicycle shops closed it's doors, and the others will almost shoot a BMXer on sight!

Al Murphy

we have a great bike shop here in town, the 2 guys that run it used to work together with some sort of non profit community bike shop thing,

they now own their own bike shop and are very good to me, i can get 415 chain, cotter pins, bearings, brake and throttle cable, all sorts of usefull stuff, i have brought in my rims numerous times for them to true the spokes, and they also spent an afternoon rebuilding wheel hubs with me, they have a portable bearing press i can borrow for crankshaft bearings, its pretty sweet,

Steve Mccui /

Mopedwarehouse, Chris, is the 415h chain a metric chain, you talk about on your site in inch units. Also you only list the master link on your site and not the full chain for the 18 dollars you refrence here. Steve.

Ben Van Zoest /

Re: McMasterCarr chain, none incl. metric will do. I have bought two kinds for my Puch. I found some in a farm supply store the number on the box (Chinese made) was not right. the chain was actually much wider.

The roller width is the critical issue. If you can buy from a moped shop do. I have seen the chain on a few moped websites

Puch chain seems wider than Italian usage moped chain. I believe BMX chain may work on a low powered moped.

Steve, Sorry about that I updated the quantity so it is on the site again. The 415 chain size is 1/2" X 3/16". As Bernard pointed out the width of the chain is never specified so industrial chains run the risk of being too narrow or too wide. Also finding masterlinks can be tough since the reference of "415" does not tell you the diameter of the pins or the width of the master link.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Steve Mccui /

Benard, Yes round one with McMaster Carr, has taken place and it is not the right width. They have the correct pitch and roller size but not the cottect width. Thanks

Steve Mccui /

Chris, again you are speaking of the chain in inches, the chain is actually metric, correct. Mcmaster Carr calls the metric chain pitch as 12.7 (.500) with a roller dia of 7.77mm, that is .305 inches. It doesn't convert to any US chain call out. I intend to order the chain I just want to make sure I get the right one. That is enough to do the motor to rear tire with one master link, 2-speed motor, bigger sprocket than a one speed. Can I assume the lenght is rounded up and I cut to lenght. Thanks

Steve, yes it is standard not metric. The chain comes with more than enough length. If you need to have it cut to a specific length just let me know the number of rollers and I will cut it to that length.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

One more thing .

By 3/16 I am referring to the distance between the inner plates (roller width) the diameter of the roller is .306 inch.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

"Also finding masterlinks can be tough since the reference of "415" does not tell you the diameter of the pins or the width of the master link."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chris -

What, exactly, does the '415' represent?

Thanks!

Steve Mccui /

Chris, I ordered the chain thru paypal on mopedwarehouse.com. Message kept saying about going back to shopping cart after paypal was complete, however, that option never seemed to appear. Could you help me, is the chain on order or do i need to do more. Steve

Steve, I got the order and It will go out today.

Thanks

Chris MWH

www.mopewarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Yes the 415 is a metric chain.

The number 415 is a JIS number infact all numbers in the hundreds are JIS which means Japanese Standards association.You may run into ISO numbered chains as well but those are English system chains and have a weird numbering system.

Their is a difference in the smallest change in numbers and or letters in the JIS system Example a 415 and a 415H have different dementions and master-link types!

The 415H should be the correct chain for the Puch.Jim

I bought a new Pedal chain and it is too long.. what is the best way to separate the links?

Allen Murphy /

Go to a bicycle shop and get a chain breaker, AKA a Park tool.

Lots of the hardware stores have them, too.

Al Murphy

yeah if your going to do some chain work on diferent peds they have heavy duty chain breakers at lowes for like 19.99 in their nuts and bolts section.Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account