bing carb

hi all, can anyone answer this one? recently there was a post on carb numbers and what they meant. ok here goes, 78' puch maxi 2hp, with a bing carb. carb reads as follows: 1/12/307. manifold says 14 on the side. in the recent post there was a list of numbers ans what model they matched up with. matching my numbers with the list it says puch maxi luxe 2hp, main jet 58. which is correct. my manual says puch maxi on it. the side covers say newport, and this list says maxi luxe. lol :-) any one wanna atempt this one???????? one more thing, is this the biggest 12mm carb they made for it, or can i upgrade to a bigger 12mm? or should i just go to a 14mm. thanks ahead of time.

Re: bing carb

I'm with you. There seems to be no comprehensive explanation of what carb goes with what jet or with what model Puch. Or why you can get 2 hp with a 12 mm carb in some cases, but need a 14 mm carb in other cases. There are many more questions then answers. Where is our hero with all the answers?

GLAD IM NOT ALONE, THANKS.LOL DON, RON, FRED, REPER. HELP!!!!!!!

Don't look at the side covers, the most important thing on a Puch is to have the intake manifold and carb match. You have a 12mm carb on a 14mm manifold, you need to find a 14mm carb for your manifold, a 12mm carb will always be a 12mm carb, there is no such thing as a bigger 12mm carb. As far as jets or throttle slide needle settings, I would let the plug and how the bike performs determine what size or setting I should use, not some chart. A chart can only put you in the ballpark.

thanks brian, if i get a 14mm carb will it make any difference speed, or power wise? can i get a 14mm new from mopedwarehouse.com, or one of those? if not, ebay.com ? thanks again.

It'll go faster but more importantly it gives it a big ( considering it's size ) increase in power, and when jetted correctly your bike won't blubber, it'll run clean thru the entire range of the throttle. You'll have to hunt around for one on one of the sites you listed, they're a common carb. I got mine from a Puch dealer in Virginia many moons ago.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account