Re: O/T - What languages can you speak?

I kind of used Spanish as a stepping stone. When I was taking freshman Spanish, we had a few Japanese exchange students who would stay with us for a month, so I picked up some of that, know how to express my desire to move a bowel really well (dai bn wo shuru ). Over time, I've had neighbors from Romania, Sweden, the Philipines, known Samoans (and managed to not p*** them off). Picked up a few phrases from Heinlein's account of visiting Russia, as well as listening to Gorky Park. Was in a metal band with a couple of Iranian descent guys, had a another band the drummer's dad was from Turkey. And living in SoCal, you can't turn a corner without bumping into someone from Korea, Vietnam,Thailand, or Saudi. But Spanish gets you in tune with the world's languages, once you learn the vowel sounds your ear picks up on the commonalities of the other tongues, which is good to know how to communicate, although I believe and with good reason that the standard language for airline pilots is English

Kristian Skou /

i speak:

Danish

English

german (a bit rusty)

Swedish and Norwegian (understand and make me understandable)

and finally i can read Hollandish

Courtis Fuller /

Ich sprechen sie Deutch.

A little bit....

:D

Ben

Re: French vs. Spanish

Vimy Ridgeway /

I have been meaning to go to St. Augustine. Once the 'student loan' is out on his own later this year, my wife and I plan some road trips down that way.

Vimy Ridgeway /

It's true, Joe. Once you know Spanish, you'll pick up Italian really easily, and you'll hear a lot of Spanish in the French language. When I picked grapes in the southeast of France near the Spanish border, the locals spoke French but with a definite Latin rhythmn.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Swarm and destroy. Spanish speaking are not here to destroy but they are certainly swarming.jim

Adrian Syrowik /

well dont be dumb like i was and pick latin. i took latin cause i didnt like spanish or french.

freshman year i had a kickass teacher. he let us do anything. barley learned anything. and he gave us all 100's on the final.

then sophmore year came around and i too latin too. now i got a real pain in the ass teacher. im failing with a 39 right now. i give up. wich i took spanglish

I'm also learning Gaelic and it's not easy.

Didac Sergi Mart /

Hello again

I can speak catalan, spanish and english, but can communicate quite easily with anyone speaking a latin-based language. This is beacause those languages remain very similar, and beause both spanish and latin are two of them. If I remember well, the list is: Portuguese, galician, spanish, catalan, occitane, french, corsican, italian, retoromanic and romanian. So you see, I'm well assorted.

It's very painful to read you only refeer to mexico or american countries when thinking on spanish-speaking countries. Very disapointing, you forget the country where that language (whose real name is castilian, as more idioms are spoken in Spain: castilian, galician, basque, catalan and occitan) was born. A country that, like France, has given many things to the world's culture. Think on our famous painters: Vel

Reply: Americans?

Jeff Daniels /

What's up with americans always trying to choose between French and Spanish?

Anyway, if you've decided to learn a language, make it a language you can speak fluent in some way, so that you don't draw any attention. I for one can confront german tourists coming here, without them revealing my real nationality (which might be hard for you right now as well:-). If you're going for a practical language, you're pretty much stuck with French and Spanish since other languages will be way too difficult to learn. However, you'll sound pretty silly trying to pronounce menage a trois!

[Lets just hope that the ip-snagger keeps my IP:-]

Re: Reply: Americans?

I speak English, Ukrainian and Russian, and I speak very good, I don't think I will ever forget my home languages! Choose French!

Ilya

Jeff Daniels /

Yea agreed choose french so we can have a menage a trois

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

Enough of Spanish to make it by. Plenty of it here in Florida.

English, Spanish, some Itallian... Most of the time it's just English and Bad English...

English und Deutsch

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account