O/T - What languages can you speak?

Hey,

this is off topic, but i am bored, and i think that you all have valuable opinions. next year i have to choose between french class and spanish class, i know a bit of both, so i just can't decide. on the one hand paris is very cool, and it teems with hot chicks, good food, and mopeds. on the other hand, spanish and mexican food might be better, it sounds cooler when spoken, the music is better, and it too has its share of mopeds, so i just can't decide!

so, what do you guys speak besides english, if anything? and whats your opinion- the language of love, and cool mopeds, or the language of warm sunny mexico, marriachi bands, good food, and police on mopeds. which should it be???

-Joe

Re: O/T - What languages can you speak?

i speak french...

english... i learnt in school...

Franch is hard to use perfectly... speak, write, read...

but writing french is the worse...

there is always exceptions...in everything...

anyway, the decision is up to you

g.b.

Don Pflueger /

i can swear. and sign.

At one point I could kinda speak, read, and write Spanish. I was actually pretty good with Japanese for awhile, but have since lost it. If you don't use it, you lose it.

English, and I used to be pretty fluent in French. It's been a long time though.

yeah, i think it would be really fun to be able to fluently speak another language and talk to someone from a completetly different country, but i just cannott decide, i mean they're both cool, but i just don't know. I would love to go to Paris and be able to speak french, but spanish just seems more practical, and it sounds a bit cooler, but i just don't know. plus the moped factor may come into play.

Ben Van Zoest /

Netherlands, ik spreek, schrijf en lees. Dutch is unlike German just in case you want to ask!

I can speak a littler German a little more spanish. I dunno German isn't that hard to learn but I here from a lot of people spanish is easier then french. just a thought.

Brooklyn and English.

And yes I say Loongyyyland rather than long Island.

Don,

You can sign? What language?

EK

I can sign in:

American Sign Language (fluently)

Signed English (fluently)

Pidgin Signed English (fluently)

German Sign Language (used to be fluent but now rusty)

Russian Sign Language (Limited vocabulary)

Language Signed French (Fluently, but rusty)

I can read some French, but I can't write or speak French. Heh. The same goes for German. Russian, I don't even know how to read it!

EK

O/T - What languages can you speak?

"next year i have to choose between french class and spanish class"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many people in the US speak Spanish as opposed to French?

How about the rest of the world?

Spanish is 10X more practical in real life.

Don Pflueger /

adsl

sign language. i'm self taught and my wife taught my 8 year old son too. i wanna learn how to read lips but thats extremely hard and alot of deaf people have trouble with it too. the reason being that letters that end with a long E sound such as c d e your lips make the exact same movement. i have a girl friend who is deaf so i've been teaching myself to make it easier to talk with her.

I speak some German and Japanese. I guess that makes me the axis powers. Heh.

Vimy Ridgeway /

What does your wife think of your girlfriend?

Vimy Ridgeway /

Dave, everything doesn't have to be practical, although it is probably more practical for U.S. citizens to learn Spanish as it is for us Canucksters to learn French. Studied French for 12 years plus 2 in university. Have a great vocabulary but can't speak it worth beans. A couple of weeks in France and I'm better unless. I was best at it in 1972 when I spent six weeks working the vineyards. But idioms change. I'd go for Spanish, much easier to learn (no declensions or conjugations) and it comes in handy in Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba and the neighbourhood just west of me in Toronto.

Don Pflueger /

she's not a girlfriend girlfriend, just a friend who happens to be a female. she dont care. i do whatever i want to do, and my wife says nothing. she's a good woman.

Allen Murphy /

Agreed!

I can speak, read and write in German and Spanish, and get the three basics (bread,bed,ahd head) in Korean as well, but don't ask me to READ it!

Al Murphy

AHH!!!

You have a point, and obviously i know that here in our own country and continent for that matter spanish is more practical, but as warm and sunny and nice as mexico is, when you go there all you seem to see are poor people begging for money, where as in France for instance you can visit the beautiful city of paris and be immersed in all of the culture of the people and art there and speak to them, and who knows, maybe even date a beautiful french woman. its also moped and scooter galore, but still, there are all the practical reasons to learn Spanish. To hell with it! I just can't decide!

I'd go for Spanish, Joe!

The French will probably all be speaking Middle-Eastern pretty soon. The SPanish will always be with us. LOL! don-ohio (:^)

French vs. Spanish

Williamjordan Fissel /

Cyberian wrote that you should learn Spanish because more people in this country speak Spanish, but personally I don't see the logic in that. Unless you are planning on flipping burgers or mowing lawns, French is the obvious choice. France has given the world many beautiful inventions, artists, and (for the sake of this forum) some great mopeds. While Spain has contributed a bit to Western society, the Spanish you are likely to learn here in the US if more of the Mexican variety. French was for many years the international language spoken by people on all sides of the globe, it is still widely used for international affairs. Plus French is a much more beautiful language and should you ever deceide to visit France I believe you would find it much more useful as most Spanish speaking areas of any interest have more than enough English speakers to get you by. I took German in school while my girl took French and also knows Norwegian. German was difficult though it has proved useful in buying Ped parts from E-bay in Germany.

Viva La France!

Re: French vs. Spanish

invincibleone

I seriously hope that you are kidding about the dearth of contributions of Spain to Western Culture.

Spanish is Spanish, regardless of who speaks it in any given area.

Yes, there are many Hispanics in the US doing menial work, which is what most immigrant populations did when they first started arriving here in large numbers.

Look in the paper for help wanted ads for bi-lingual applicants and see how many ask for French as a second language as opposed to how many ask for Spanish.

I studied Latin, Spanish, French and German, and except for the insight into the vagaries of English that I learned from Latin, I would deem Spanish as the most useful overall.

(Yes - opinions are like noses. Everyone has one, but some smell better than others!)

Re: AHH!!!

Screw those wussy languages. Take Japanese. It's a really interesting language.

Re: AHH!!!

I remember when I, too, was faced with the choice of taking French or Spanish. I agonized over the decision also, thinking the same things -- "Spanish is more practical, but French...there's something about French..." It wasn't that there was a concrete or rational _reason_ to take French, I was just drawn to it somehow.

I ended up going with my heart and taking French through middle school, high school, and college, and I have NO regrets. For some reason, the language clicked with me (maybe becuase I follwed my heart and took what I wanted to, practicality be damned) and I was able to pick it up fairly easily.

Yes, Spanish may seem more applicable day-to-day, but I actually use my knowlege of French on a very regular basis in my job, probably at least once per month. Like I said, I have never once regretted my decision, and the funny part is that because I understand French, I can read and understand some Spanish as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask...I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Vimy Ridgeway /

The more languages the better, I say. The differences in spoken Spanish are minimal: The southern countries: Mexico, Cuba, Argentina, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, etc. prounounce their 's's and 'c's as we do. In the northern countries, they lisp them as in 'th.' The rest is the same, except for local dialects and idioms. The other difference is you can pick up Spanish relatively quickly comared to French.

Vimy Ridgeway /

I'm with you, Dave, on Spanish culture. Look at the Gaude architecture in Barcelona, the grand squares in Madrid, the paintings of Titian, Velasquez, Goya, Dalislio, the explorers who opened up the new world, the steelworks of Toledo.

The only thing the Spanish did badly was find the fountain of youth in Florida and we know how badly that turned out, lol...

Hey how about American Sign Languages? There are MILLIONS of deaf people in the USA!

EK

French vs. Spanish

Thanks for all the opinions, and kathleen, like you, i kind of have the urge to learn french for no great reason at all, other than paris looks really beautiful, and of all the things Invincibleone said, so i think i am going to go with French. Also i read that once you learn one language it is much easier to learn another, so who knows, maybe i can learn both. I think France has a very rich culture, and it will pay off in the long run i hope. We shall see...

-Joe

"I’m with you, Dave, on Spanish culture. Look at the Gaude architecture in Barcelona, the grand squares in Madrid, the paintings of Titian, Velasquez, Goya, Dalislio, the explorers who opened up the new world, the steelworks of Toledo.

The only thing the Spanish did badly was find the fountain of youth in Florida and we know how badly that turned out, lol…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave -

Have you ever been to St. Augustine in Florida?

That is where the supposed 'Fountain of Youth' was located.

Anyone that can drink that water for a lifetime deserves to attain eternal youth.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account