Speedometers

Hi, I need a speedometer and I looked into the electric speedometers for bikes but the one I bought was crappy, anyone who uses one here, can you tell what kind you use?

Re: Speedometers

ANd are there certain things needed so it works on a moped, the one i got would was for 20-26inch tires, do they work with smaller tires?

Nick,

Most any good speedometer will work. What you need to do is measure the outer circumference of the wheel by marking a point on the tire and on the floor . Roll the bike foward while sitting on the moped until the mare on the tire lines up with the floor again. measure the distance between those 2 marks on the floor and enter into the speedometer the code that corresponds with that measurement. The code will be in your owners manual, often it is simply the actual measurement in mm or cm . Make sure you have the proper inflation in your tires before doing this.

i use a specialized brand speedo.. i j.b welded the magnet on the wheel and use cable ties for the pickup thing. works great

I use SpeedZone Comp. All the bells and whistles. Mounting is a creative process. About $35 at most bike shops. I mounted mine on a Puch.

Matt Wilson /

One bike shop trick to calibrate these speedometers is to sqeeze a glob of grease on the front wheel. Ride the moped (or bike) a few feet and measure the distance between the grease globs. It is more accurate and easier than the method mentioned above.

Matt

Thanks for the help, I will try these, but if anyone knows what a 16 inch tire would be, that would save time :)

Ron Brown /

Nick,

All tires are slightly different, that's why the "experts" use the dab of grease trick, although I would prefer something less obnoxious. Peanut butter and jelly would be good as that side of the ped would stay down until it wore off. : )

Ron

Re: For Nick

send me your email address and I will send you a copy of the SpeedZone Comp manual. I typed it into my harddrive, because the original was about size 5 type.

hmm...I did reply last night with my email but its not here...oh well..my email is quiksilver9531@home.com Thanks oldtimer

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account