Pesky swarms of turkeybugs

Someone said they imported these flying bugs to feed the wild turkey population.Has anybody elsewhere been plagued with these nuisances?They look like a ladybug but a little more brownish.They're everywhere and they bite or sting if you don't knock them off you.I went on a ride on a country road the other day and I had to ride slowly because of the loose gravel.They were all over me!Then I went out the next day to a nice park called Hammertown Lake and I couldn't even stop to eat my picnic lunch!SWARMS OF `EM! And when you have to handle or flick one of `em they leave a stink on your hand or finger.What a plague! JUST WONDERING if anybody else has these `cause I suspect they do!

Re: Pesky swarms of turkeybugs

InfectedBootSector /

Do you mean Lady Bugs? If so, they are swarming here as well....

Awefull things.... I had 40 of them on me the other day walking around campus here at Frostburg State in MD.

Ron Brown /

Don,

Relax, they are a variety of lady bug and they eat aphids or "green fly". I don't know if turkeys eat them but that is not thier purpose in life.

They don't really bite you, apparently, they nip just hard enough to figure out you are tougher than an aphid, then move on.

They will be gone soon, as will the warm weather. Be nice to them, they do good work.

Ron

In maine, we get big "June Bugs" they are flying beetles, and they are built like a tank. when one hits you in the head, it's like getting hit by an apple or a golf ball or something. Ouch,

even more gross, is when the beetle has a full lunch, it gets all over you after it smacks into your face'

Well Ron,I'm glad they'll be gone soon! They are a menace to mopeding.I'm not talkin about occasional bugs;I'm talkin' `Swarm and Destroy' tactics on `ol Don,and a `SHOW NO MERCY' attitude.I couldn't even eat my picnic lunch until I drove a half mile away from there.I thought they were attracted to my RED Ohio State sweatshirt,but they like black just as well.And Wayne,I know what you mean about June Bugs! Get `em trapped under your pants and they'll raise a welt on you too!Not to mention their penchant for moped headlights.You know,I never have been nailed by a common reddish ladybug,but this variety can hurt you when you get 10 or 12 of them on your neck and back.Have you guys got serious swarms of them?

Right,Infected! YOU know what a nuisance they are!We'll get 'ol Ron down here and turn loose a few hundred after HIM and see if he thinks it's `BE KIND TO TURKEYBUG DAY' that day! Just kidding,Ron,but you've really got to be `swarmed' to appreciate it,don't you Infected? LOL ! (:>)

Ron Brown /

Don,

Yes, we have our share. They seem to be looking for a place to winter and are attracted to warmth, like the house.

Ron

We have those bugs here in Cincy. I thought they were lady bugs though? You learn something new every day.

Ron Brown /

Chris,

Read more of this thread before changing your mind.

Ron

Okay,Ron! Have YOU ever been bitten by a true ladybug? And do regular Ladybugs STINK to high heaven? Hmmmm?Where's our resident entomologist when we need help?

Ron Brown /

Don,

Yes, I have had a few of these nibble on me, maybe you taste better or have softer skin. : )

They are "real" lady bugs, just a different variety. I read an article on them in the newspaper a few weeks ago. I vaguely recall that they were imported from somewhere.

BTW, aren't you supposed to be home working on the "honey do" list? : )

Ron

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account