bing numbers

hi all, can any one tell me what the numbers stand for on a typical bing carb?

Re: bing numbers

Yes, the size of the bore in millimeters ( 12 = 12mm )

what about the last number on them?

The Bing numbers correspond to the various Puch models and a specific horse power rating.

1/12/294 = Maxi and Maxi Luxe 1 HP main jet 52

1/12/300 = Sport MKII and Newport 1 HP main jet 48

1/12/293 = Maxi 1.5 HP main jet 60

1/12/309 = Maxi Luxe 1.5 HP main jet 48

1/12/321 = Sport MKII and Newport 1.5 HP main jet 50

1/12/160 = Maxi 2 HP main jet 64

1/12/307 = Maxi Luxe 2 HP main jet 58

1/12/314 = Sport MKII and Newport 2 HP main jet 56

1/12/318 = Magnum XK and MK II 1 HP main jet 50

1/12/317 = Magnum XK 1.5 HP main jet 50

1/12/323 = Magnum MK II 1.5 HP main jet 48

1/12/316 = Magnum XK 2 HP main jet 64

1/12/322 = Magnum MK II 2 HP main jet 60

XBrandon EdgeX /

Wow, I didn't know each model had different numbers in the carbs. I've got two puchs that are both missing main jets (just got the bikes). I was gonna buy a whole set of jets and try them all out in the bikes, but now I don't have to do that. You've inadvertently helped me a lot. Thanks Zippy! Oh, by the way, do you know why the luxe has a smaller jet than the maxi? Do you know what the other differences are between maxis and maxi luxes?

XBrandon EdgeX

Maxi VS Maxi Luxe

The Maxi Luxe has the Hi-Torque engine which delivers more zip than the standard engine (Maxi) The Hi-Torque also gets slightly better gas mileage.

Smaller jet on Luxe VS Maxi

My guess would be the Maxi Luxe with the Hi-Torque engine delivers a higher compression in the combustion chamber, so requires less gas (smaller jet #58) to produce the same power as the Maxi with a larger jet (#64) thus the better gas mileage on the Luxe.

To obtain the 2HP output on the Maxi's lower compression engine, Puch used a larger jet #64 to provide a richer mixture in the combustion chamber. Not as efficient as the Hi-Torque.

Re: Smaller jet on Luxe VS Maxi

thanks zippy, you helped tremendously.

Thanks for the data, but my feeling is that there has to be more to ot than just the jet size. These numbers are cast into the carburetor body Also, there is usually an optimum jet size for a carburetor configuration. Even though the minimum dimension is 12 mm, maybe the throat contour is different in the various carburetors.

Here is some additional data from a Murray catalog. Murray is just another label for a Puch Maxi.

1/14/164 1.5 hp main jet 52/50

1/14/163 2.0 hp main jet 68/66

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account