Avery Bloom: I'm Back! Cross USA moped trip.

Hey there everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in in a while to say hello. I'm the guy who mopeded cross the country. Well of all the things, i'm going to get interviewed on a radio show tonight at 6pm est, on the Two wheel power hour show. Should be pretty neet if any of you are in the ohio area.

By the way, do any of you have any questions about the trip? It was so cool to know that some of you folks were following along.

And anyone in CO have a spare moped? someone stole mine out of my garage while i was on break.

Right on

-Avery

Re: Avery Bloom: I'm Back! Cross USA moped trip.

Welcom Back. Is your website still up? Updated?

Avery Bloom /

I'm not sure the last time you checked the site, but no I haven't updated it in the last little while. It's really hard to do much with it now that the trip is over because it was a whole different mind frame, and i was doing such different things. not being in the middle of it and trying to write, is kind of disconcerting.

thanks for the welcome

-Avery

i am in the ohio area i wish i would have read this before six i wanted to listen ot it on the radio wat station was you on?

Great to hear from you. If you ever want to do a final write up about your trip I'll gladly post it to the articles area of this site.

What station is was that radio show on?

Simon

The boss-man was saying last week that he wanted to hear not from somebody that said they wanted to, or said they were GOING to, but from someone that said they were going to and DID it. For my curiosity I was wondering about issues where there is no other way for miles around other than to get on a freeway. I have consulted a road atlas for my dream routes and mostly I can get along on U.S. 60 or Route 66, or state highways but in SoCal unless one lives next to Hwy 62 or north of the Cajon Pass (I-15) there is no real legal way to run a route uninterrupted . But if you have free time Tues-Sat 10 am - 6pm Pac. time, Shaun would love to hear from you at (714) 992-5592. Cheers!

i drove across route 66 a few summers back and the road was entirely vacant, we stopped the car in the middle of the highway and got out and streched, you could probably easily ride a moped on it, except the mid summer heat may get rough in arizona and new mexico, have to get some sort of sun umbrella rigged up on the back

Avery Bloom /

Hey there,

There were only a couple times that I had to ride on the interstate, but doing it is not pleasant at all.

One time, when i was riding into st. Louis, and I had been riding that morning since about 7 (though on the road at 8 or so), and i had gone around 180 miles, and i was trying to get across the river into st. Louis. It turned out that all the bridges were closed except one, which was a Highway bridge (270 if i remember correctly). It had just gotten dark, and I was going between 20-25mph, and being passed by cars going 75mph in the dark, and there was no shoulder. It was absolutely terrifying. I seriously thought that i was going to die at points. but i made it, keeping as far as i could to the side of the bridge.

But usually it was fine and I could just stick on secondary roads. There, you can sit back and just watch the country roll on by.

Peace

-Avery

Avery Bloom: I'm Back! Cross USA moped trip.

Jimmy Ruskie /

Hi Avery, welcome back ! Last we heard you made it to Colorado. Did you ever make it to California ? Guess not, with a stolen moped and all... glad you're still in once piece !

You are truely the mopedders icon.

and peace to you,

gimmyjimmy

Avery Bloom /

Well what happened was that I got to colorado, and had to take care of a few things... like get a house for the next year, and that took a week or so. By the time i was ready to go again, there wasn't enough time to moped all the way to california. i would have ended up in the middle of Utah somewhere and just had to turn around.

So instead, i found a friend who wanted to come along with me, found a moped for her, and we put them both in the back of a car and drove to seattle. From there we mopeded for the rest of the time, down the oregon coast and throughout the san juan islands.

It really would have been a shame to take the whole trip and not see the pacific.

Peace

-Avery

Hey,

How many miles was the trip when you were all done? how many miles does your ped have on it now? Where did you stay for the night along your trip? Are you planning any more cross-counrty trips?

Eric

Avery Bloom /

The moped had 4400 miles on it when i was done.

I had a single person tent with me, and i slept outside every night i was riding.

so far I haven't planned any trips, mostly because someone stole my moped, and i would have to outfit it all again, which I'm not looking forward to. I had installed a cigarette lighter into the magneto of the moped so that i could charge my cell phone in case of emergency. I also had welded on a kind of frame so that it could take detachable bicycle panniers on the back, and i had put plates on either side of the front wheel so that it could take two baskets.

It was a pretty ghetto rig, but it worked out great.

-Avery

Wanna Hear the Radio Show

Andrew Smith /

Congratulations Avery! I want to do something like what you did.

Here's an ambitious idea: If you have a recording of the radio show you did, it would be neat if you could make it an mp3 or something and post it here. (I know you have better things to do, but if you already had it on CD it'd be easy...)

Good job guy.

How much down time...

Vimy Ridgeway /

For repairs and stuff like that did you experience? Did you take along a cache of spare parts?

Congratulations

Avery Congratulations man!

I was wondering if you have a map detailing the route you took? If so could you post it?

Rob

WAY TO GO,AVERY! You have my respect for sure! Glad you made it `safe and sound!'

Sleepin' out in the weather......that's gotta be fantastic!

Take care,Buddy! don-ohio (:^D

Avery Bloom /

Thanks Don

-Avery

Avery Bloom /

I really didn't have a planned out route. I just chose where to go in the morningn and then would ride all day. Every time i got into new state, i would buy a new fold up state map, so i have a whole drawer of em, with all kinds of marks and fill ins on them. Unfortunatly it would be a huge pain to upload them all. Sorry

-Avery.

Avery Bloom /

Thanks simon,

I just got a cd of the show, which i could upload if you'd like. I didnt know the specifics about the interview until pretty much the last min. Sorry i couldn't clue you in.

Thanks for all your help by the way, it was so great to know that all you guys were thinking about me when it got really lonely.

Peace

-Avery

Re: How much down time...

Avery Bloom /

Yeah i had tons of spare parts. After i finally got on the road for good, i maitenenced the bike daily, and didn't have too many problems at all. A couple of times i had to replace jets, spark plugs etc. One time i had to kinda take the whole engine apart and put it back together because the carborator jiggled free, but i didn't know that was the problem. All in all, if i wanted to ride some day, i almost always could.

Repairing spars on the TFR was a huge pain though. One time, i got kinda hit by a car leaving st. louis, and i had to fix a bunch of stuff. The front tire popped, the forks bent a little (couldn't do anyuthing about that) etc. That was pretty terrifying. All in all though, the moped took a huge beating and did extremely well.

Peace

-Avery

i didn't see a timeframe posted anywhere...how long did you go for? and do you have an estimate of your expenses?

lib

Any trouble with the cops? I'm a little worried about riding across state lines with only my MA registration sticker.

Cleats Onionpockets /

So, how much does one of these cross country trips usually cost? I'm very interested in one of those myself, but I've no idea how much to have set aside for fuel and supplies along the way.

This post is a little over TWO YEARS OLD.

Old post

I meant to change the subject heading on the last one.

I am also interested in this subject, but where's "Avery"? I kinda think he's away.

Re: Old post

Cleats Onionpockets /

Wheee....I totally did not notice the date on that last post. Never mind Avery, wherever you are!

Avery lives in Seattle last I heard. We run into him around town every now and then. He no longer owns a moped.

I ran into Avery a year and a half ago in Seattle. I thought he said he was in Portland, but that might be true, then or now. He was running a small print company i think, i have business card somewhere.

Edit: I googled him, and found his website. empireepmire.org

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account