Puch Throttle Cable Problems

InfectedBootSector /

Just got a throttle cable for my 78 Puch....

I can't seem to install it properly. It goes it WAY too tight...

Anyway, it is like the inside part is about 1/2 inch too short... I've tried all kinds of crap... any suggestions?

Re: Puch Throttle Cable Problems

what part? the part that goes into the carb or in to the twist grip?

InfectedBootSector /

The twist grip, but the whole metal cable itself seems too short...

On a Motomarina,and many others you can just go to walmart or somewhere and get a standard brake cable for a bike and grind the soldered head down to fit into the throttle slide.Works just fine!

XBrandon EdgeX /

I had the same problem when I installed a new throttle cable. I ended up shortening the outer tube/shell by taking an angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel to the tube, with the cut direction going the long way (along the tube, not across), I cut out about 10 lengths of the coil tube and matched up the cut ends, then wrap the joint with electric tape. It's been working pretty good, otherwise, you can try to grind down one of those big metal things on one end of the tube (if it has those on it.)

You can do it pretty neatly with a hack-saw too,if you don't have an angle grinder like X-Brand said.Just cut at about a 60 degree angle to the cable instead of across it.But if you don't have enough length,the bike brake cable will work probably,with grinding the end disc down.

Recently put a new throttle cable on my Puch. Had the same problem you are having. Removed completely the adusting nut and threaded tubed going into the elbow on top of the carb. Also, made sure the elbow was screwed into the carb as far as it would go. Like one of the other suggestors, considered removing some of the outer sheath, but was not necessary when I made the changes mentioned above.

Yor problem is the "universal" aftermarket puch cable that you bought. There are several different length throttle cables used on the varius maxi series mopeds. See if you can return it and get one for your specific model.

Chris

Thanks. I got it from MisterMoped. I will see what he says.

Re: Cables in general

Before going so far as installing a new cable when replacing the old one, make sure the outer sleeve and the inner wire are both the same length on both.

This way you know you can adjust the new one with the given adjusters and won't have to modify the new cable.

Jim

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account