Rear wheel vibration..Kinetic

Barbara Perkins /

Recently, I noticed a vibration and slight clicking sound at the rear wheel when the bike is idling on the center stand. It goes away when throttle is applied. There is no vibration when riding. I took the wheel off and examined for metal shavings etc., and found none. I added some gear oil because I noticed a leak at the bushing that engages the peddles. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Randy (Barbara's husband, mechanic, flunky)

p.s. Barabara sends her thanks for the carrier info.

Re: Rear wheel vibration..Kinetic

The vibration could be from the wheel being out of balance. The clicking is probably the free-wheel the pedal chain hooks up to doing its job. If the clicking sounds like a derailleur equipped bike, (like a 10 speed or mountain bike) that's what it is.

Barbara Perkins /

thanks Jim. should we have the wheel "trued"? (something about the spokes). Spoke with a shop and he thinks that might help. tx again Barbara

My Kinetic clicks at the front wheel.. but I'm fairly sure that it's the speedometer cable where it connects to the hub housing. The speedometer jumps around when riding.. small annoyance and the engine runs fine at a 1000 miles so far.

Barbara:

Truing the wheel is for straightening it if it has a wobble in the rim or if it is not round. Balance is important, but since mopeds don't go very fast it's not an issue here. A motorcycle shop could do both, but may not be necessary.

hope this helps!

Jim

I get a clicking sound with my Kinetic sometimes--turns out it was the chain clicking on part of the tensioner. You can check this by removing the plastic cover that covers the chain.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account