Advice on Motobecane

1977 Motobecane Moby Lette yellow many new parts. Needs electrical work to run good shape $300 firm. After 5:30. -Contact Information- S Portland, ME

This is the ad. I'm calling to see if it is still available. Advice on the bike, what kind of 'electrical' problems should I look for, etc. If it looks nice, I figure 300 is a steal.

Please post ASAP if you know Motobecane, I doubt this moped will last too long, but it is in my home town---

I'm going to try to look at the bike today, and your help is always appreciated!!!

-Wayne

Not having a Moped

Not having a moped really sucks.

Re: Advice on Motobecane

Hey Wayne! I saw you're a pretty big dude so you better make sure it has the big cushy seat.LOL ! Some of those Motobecanes had that little `rump-buster'.Don't know anything about the wiring,but maybe the guy will go into more detail when you go to see it.They're big tough bikes.Bigger than Tomos and a whale of `stereo carrying capacity',but some are 6 volt.No offense,Ree !

Reeperette /

None taken, the ole B'canes are real tough, once you can get them running - it's getting them to do so in the first place that's the hard part ! heh.

And yeah....what sucks WORSE than no moped..is a moped that is deadlined cause the tranny's blown, and the PRICK that sold me another one to me via Ebay...still has not delivered....Grrrrr.

I say we take the whole horde of us and run over him a coupla times....

-Ree

Motobecane wiring is a bitch. I wouldn

Ron Brown /

Wayne,

The most wierd part of the wiring on my Model 7's is that any circuit which is turned off, lights, brake light or horn, are tied to ground through the switches. You turn them on by removing the ground. The brake lamp and horn are allso interconnected so that if the horn and bake lamp are un-grounded at the same time they are in series making them both half power. Who ever understood the French anyway.

But it is still just wires and switches. If you make the switches work and connect the wires correctly it works just fine.

Ron

I wonder how stupid an idea it would be to pull all wires, test each core component seperately, throw the old wire harness and purchase a new harness and put it in?

Cost prohibitive? I don't mind doing a lot of work, because I'm good with electrical and working on a moped (even if it never runs) is good experience.

How about parts? can you even find a wiring harness? I haven't checked in the "Army Links" site or Mopedjunkyard, etc... he said I was the 1st call, so I'm not in a hurry.

He's actually got 5 mopeds he's working on... I want to go check out the motobecane just to see all of the mopeds! A suzuki, 2 honda expresses, a garelli and the moby (and a partridge in a pear tree?)

That's pretty cool for South Portland, Maine.

Anyway, let me know about the feasibility of a total overhaul on the electrical system .

Thanks-- You guys are the best. the honda express he has is the same lime green model (1978) that I had for my first moped, it's got troubles with the kick start winder (it winds up and you release it with the brake to start it...) I think I might try to get him to sell that--

T.I.A!

-Wayne

Ron Brown /

Wayne,

A moped has so few wires you could do anything you want, but I would just eyeball the wiring, replace any bad wires and make sure the switches work corectly. Most switches can be carefully disassembled and cleaned. WD40 will keep them working for years.

Ron

puch

10 dollars a push ped if a hot chick i can do in ass

Re: puch

Ron Brown /

Hi, hi,

Huh?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account