Re: spark only low rpm's

XBrandon EdgeX /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I had a similar problem with my 77 Puch Newport. The problem was that at low rpm's it was fine (really low rpm's) and when it was turned fast enough, it would cut out. It turned out that I had a short in my spark plug boot (which was made of metal) and when the spark got strong enough, it stopped jumping the gap on the spark plug elecrodes and instead jumped from the plug cap to the cylinder head. I think that a bike's spark is stronger at higher rpm's, so it might have enough juice to jump the gap in a short ciruit somewhere in the wiring of your ignition. Check for any exposed wiring in the ignition, or if your spark plug boot is made of metal, check to see if that is shorting out (hold the outside of the boot against the metal tip on the spark plug and spin the engine. If it runs, you need a new spark plug boot.)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  spark only low rpm'sTopic by: zack zack 09/30/01 09:10PM
  Re: spark only low rpm'sRe: XBrandon EdgeX XBrandon EdgeX 09/30/01 10:35PM
  Re: spark only low rpm'sRe: zack zack 10/01/01 10:33AM
  Re: spark only low rpm'sRe: don-ohio don-ohio 10/01/01 10:55AM
  Re: spark only low rpm'sRe: Rog Rog 10/01/01 02:05PM
  Re: spark only low rpm'sRe: chuck russo chuck russo 10/01/01 02:15PM
  Re: spark only low rpm'sRe: don-ohio don-ohio 10/01/01 03:26PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account